Elvis - King or Not King?

by dh 26 Replies latest social entertainment

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Elvis was only a little over a year older than yours truly and, I suppose. we sort of grew up together. He was a truly amazing entainer who had the girls going ga, ga. However my 40+, at the time, Mother and loyal dub hated him because of his hip movements which she considered obscene. Elvis was probably crying all the way to the bank because of her thinking badly of him.

• Simon
    Simon

He had quite a tragic life really - I watched a documentary a while back about him and his eating problems were a direct result of his desparately poor upbringing where they would eat squirrels and all sorts ... if they were lucky.

Unfortunately, the people round him 'killed him with kindness' and cooked him the comfort food that he liked and reminded him of his mother etc.

Very sad.

Toward the end, when he was in Vegas, he visited one of his favourite clubs / restaurants where he always ate and they were having an Elvis impersonation contest on. He entered and came 3rd. That must have hurt.

Still, he sounded great right to the end.

Elvis, too young to die. Too fat to live.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Many talented singers and entertainers out there. I rank him way on top, though I am not sure if he is # 1.

• dh
    dh

I left this thread the other day with 2 replies and didn't think it was gonna get any more! so am pleasantly surprised

What can I say, I listen to Bob Dylan almost every day, but like Simon said, when you're in the mood for listening to Elvis, nothing comes close!

However, though I don't think badly of people who don't like Elvis, those who don't like Bob Dylan, ahhhhhh

How many roads must a man walk down
    Before you call him a man?
    Yes, 'n' how many seas must a white dove sail
    Before she sleeps in the sand?
    Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
    Before they're forever banned?
    The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
    The answer is blowin' in the wind.

How many times must a man look up
    Before he can see the sky?
    Yes, 'n' how many ears must one man have
    Before he can hear people cry?
    Yes, 'n' how many deaths will it take till he knows
    That too many people have died?

How many years can a mountain exist
    Before it's washed to the sea?
    Yes, 'n' how many years can some people exist
    Before they're allowed to be free?
    Yes, 'n' how many times can a man turn his head,
    Pretending he just doesn't see?

you know it!

• Valis
    Valis

Has anyone ever heard The Residents do Elvis covers?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Good Lord!!! Of course he's the King! Though I gotta say Elton John is pretty close.

Growing up, I was a HUGE Elvis fan. I was 7 year sold, at the World Fair, and I got smooshed in the front row of an Elvis Impersonater concert. I got called on stage and he sang to me. I MELTED. I won 2 fish that day and named them Elvis and Priscilla. Yah, I'm a geek

• BlakesDoom
    BlakesDoom

I dare say Sir Elton John has certainly held his own against much of the newer music........ but Bob Dylan is GOD.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit