Elvis - King or Not King?

by dh 26 Replies latest social entertainment

• avishai
    avishai

Uhhhhh-huh!

• Simon
    Simon
    That's an awesome tune. One can wonder where music would have gone if Buddy Holly hadn't died.

A bit of music trivia:

When Buddy Holly died, he was on tour ... the concert he was due to perform had to get another artists so a young folk singer got his first break ... one Robbert Zimmerna, aka Bob Dylan

• undercover
    undercover

Simon,

Thanks for that tidbit of trivia. I've been a Dylan fan since the 60s and thought I had a pretty good base of knowledge and trivia about him. That one I didn't know though.

Even if Holly had lived, Dylan would have made his mark though. Their styles were different. Dylan was a folk singer(at least at first). He wanted to follow the likes of Woody Guthrie and the true troubadours of the depression era. Now in the twilight of his career he is that troubadour with experience and knowledge that shows in his lyrics and in the rasp of his voice. Who will replace him is an excellent thought to ponder.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Little Sister

Maries the name of his latest Flame

Heartbreak Hotel

Jailhouse Rock

Suspicious Minds -- and we cant build our dreams, on supicious minds

• talesin
    talesin
    Who will replace him is an excellent thought to ponder.

Artists can't be replaced.

That being said, there are already lots of fine singer/songwriters out there who could carry on the traditions of protest and storytelling. Unfortunately, they are not going to be on American Idol or MTV cause they are not shiny and plastic enough for the record companies to want to promote.

Perhaps it's up to the music-buying public to seek these people out and support their careers by buying their CDs and attending their concerts. Some artists are creating their own record labels (eg, Ani Difranco and her "Righteous Babes Records". Take a look around your own community - you might be surprised at the amazing talent that's right at your fingertips. At least, that's been my experience.

talesin

• Badger
    Badger

They're definitely NOT going to be on MTV...they don't even play music videos any more...neither does VH 1

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Elvis - The King He is the King.....

• undercover
    undercover
    Artists can't be replaced.

I guess "replace" was the wrong word. You're right, they can't be replaced. Who will step up and become a force for their generation. Maybe that works better, I dunno.

cause they are not shiny and plastic enough for the record companies to want to promote.

Excellent point, I agree.

Take a look around your own community - you might be surprised at the amazing talent that's right at your fingertips. At least, that's been my experience.
    Going to local nightclubs and catching local talent is an excellent way to learn about new music and different music genres. I never was big on Reggae until I saw a live Reggae band. Amazing. I now appreciate another form of music that I had never given consideration to before.
  • Special K
    Special K

I'm an Elvis Fan... Yes he is "the one".. "The Messiah".. " The King"..

I'm just wondering about his second coming though?.. DOH !!

sincerely

Special K

• talesin
    talesin

undercover

I can be a bit anal about language, I admit. Thanks for not being offended by my directness.

I really like your rephrasing, though - it expresses the point perfectly.

I think one problem is this: What does the current generation stand for? Maybe it's already being expressed by MTV - a culture of youth and violence that places the emphasis on money and sex. I dunno, it's rather sad.

And who knows, maybe that local songwriter that you support will be the inspiration for a whole new generation of anti-establishment rabble rousers. One can only dream ... oh, yes, and support your local musicians.:)

tal

ps. I've found festivals are a really good place to find musicians with talent, soul and social consciousness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit