Hoping The Meeting is Cancelled

by roybatty 12 Replies latest jw friends

• roybatty
    roybatty

I'm sitting here at home in front the fire place, looking outside watching watching the snow fall. Not a blizzard but a pretty good snow fall for north-central Illinois. It feels great being at home on an evening like this, relaxing. I can't help but wonder how many JWs in the area were secretly hoping for a call from an elder saying that the meeting is cancelled. Makes me chuckle.

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

I remember doing that myself. Not only on snowy days but Sundays where the guy giving the public talk didnt show up. Sometimes they let us out but for the most part, the P.O would give the talk after the asshat who conducted the WT did the WT study first.

Kansas District Overbeer

• Gopher
    Gopher
    It feels great being at home on an evening like this, relaxing.

Jehovah is displeased with such an attitude. You get 25 fewer years of "eternal life", you slacker!

I remember when there'd be just a little snowfall here, and the meeting would be less than half full. It seems like a lot of JW's where I went were looking for a reason to "feel great being home on an evening like that, relaxing".

• dustyb
    dustyb

risking my life, driving to meeting where there are going to be about 60 old people driving their cars is too dangerous for me. can't do it.

• Atilla
    Atilla

We have had a very bad winter here in PA but does that mean the dubs will cancel meeting, no, they don't care if you risk your life to drive to a stupid meeting. Even if school had been canceled this year because of the weather, my parents would still go to meeting, unbelievable.

• Purple
    Purple

Its the middle of summer here in adelaide. We had a top of around 110 I think and expecting hotter over the weekend. ITs funny to think that its snowing in your half of the world and dry and hot in my part of the world.

• dustyb
    dustyb

if it were 110 and my mom wanted me to go to meeting, i'd put my shorts on and go lay by the pool. it is too hot to be cramped up in a car, then cramped up in a building that isn't adequately air conditioned just to listen to some old farts telling me that i don't go out in service enough and i don't do enough for the congregation.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    I remember when there'd be just a little snowfall here, and the meeting would be less than half full. It seems like a lot of JW's where I went were looking for a reason to "feel great being home on an evening like that, relaxing".

That's what I can't understand, why are people doing something (with no end in sight) that they wish they could get out of?????? The longer I'm away from it, the harder it is to understand.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Where I'm from, the elders would sensibly, if a bit self-servingly (sorry for the cynicism) are pretty quick to ``pull the trigger" on a bad-weather cancellation. The charge was usually led by the Ministry School overseer, who knew damn well that if they didn't cancel, he would be stuck with covering for all the no-show assignees. Ditto for anyone who had a big part of the service meeting.

No matter how rabid, I've yet to meet a JW who is sincerely disappointed when a meeting gets canceled.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I loved stealing that time. It felt so relaxing to blow off the meeting and sit in the comfort of my living room with the fire going. All the other nights were jam packed with cleaning, grocery shopping, errands, so when meeting night became stay at home night, there was nothing to do but relax. And the bonus...............the phone didn't ring ...............till about 9:45 with a call asking where were you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit