Theocratic Ministry School

by Nosferatu 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

The TMS had always somewhat intrigued me when I was a JW. It was actually a fascinating part of the Thursday night meeting. You never graduated, your grades didn't range from A to F, and it was mandatory to applaud after a new "classmate" gives their first talk. It was interesting when noone would clap after someone's first talk, then the brother conducting the TMS would have to remind the audience that it was their first talk. It was interesting when the talk would run over 5 minutes and the conductor would bang his pencil against the table (some conductors had a bell). They also used to let the young ones keep track of the time of the talk. I think this was eliminated a few years ago.

Then there were the people who had their talk applauded more than once. Many times it's children who recieve this, but occasionally, adults recieve it too. I was a teenager when I was in the "school", but I recieved applause more than once. I got a kick out of all the people who would come up to me after the meeting and say "that was a very good talk!". It was the only time people would speak to me. It was the only thing that made others take notice of me. The only reason I gave good talks is because I knew what people liked to hear. This was also a benefit for me in english class when I wrote essays. I knew what the teachers liked to read (even though my vocabulary is shit).

Anyway, my mother started telling me about a "secret person" who enjoyed my talks. She wouldn't tell me who it was. I found out later that it was a woman who was a few years older than me, and had a little crush on me.

So, what was your experience in the TMS?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I got a kick out of all the people who would come up to me after the meeting and say "that was a very good talk!". It was the only time people would speak to me. It was the only thing that made others take notice of me.

Classic mind control... reward desired behavior while punishing undesired behavior.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Absolutely nothing but good -- sure I criticize the Organization , but I will honestly and truly say (for a male especially) what a great idea the TMS is -- good public speaking and reading training -and zero cost-- it has really helped me in my career - -I absolutely love publicspeaking -- part of it is my personality -- but a lot of credit goes to the WTBTS. Many sisters really enjoy it as well. Without wishing to praise myself, I am quite a good speaker/teacher/reader -- so many times people would come up to me after the meeting and say what a great talk -- gave me a good thrill and buzz inside

• Room 215
    Room 215

I agree stillaexjwelder; it's refreshing to see someone give credit where it's due.

• Sneaky Russian
    Sneaky Russian

I agree with ex elder also.

While I am quick to bash anything to do with Jehovah's Witnesses, I like to give credit where it is due. The ministry school trained me to become quite a good speaker and many have commented on that since I have left and whilst I was still part of the Organization. I don't mean to sound big headed but I believe it gave me a good start.

Some parts of the School could be very tiresome and boring whilst we all listened to such mundane reasonings as 2nd Chronicles really began to test the false Witness steal. However, many times were jovial and funny, and often quite insulting!

I quite liked the ministry school.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I hated it when I got talk #4: Bible reading. I enjoyed #2 where I could actually come up with illustrations, examples, and humor. I got tired of doing talks after a while because I was also being bogged down with preparing for meetings, doing homework, etc.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I thought the school was alright, I hated preparing for assignments with school work and the like. I could never master the ability to not look at my notes and just look at the audience. I use to be the timer/helper with the bell when I was 12!

What was great about Bethel was when i had talks I would pretend that I had to work late at Bethel and get out of my assignments. Bethel was good for something.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

To be honest, I loved the TMS. I started at age 8 and learned early on how to appear confident in front of groups. I do believe it was really a positive part of my childhood. I gave good talks with good illustrations and good storylines - always got Gs. One of the few good memories I have of being a JW.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Sorry Andi... but I haaaaated the TMS.

The only reason I joined it was to get everyone to shut up and stop bugging me about why I was not part of it.

• franklin J
    franklin J

Yes, it did teach me public speaking ; poise; control and self confidence in front of an audience--give credit where it is due.

And growing up as a JW taught me much self control ---which served me well as an adult.

But the good natured credit giving STOPS HERE. And I believe the negatives growing up a JW absolutely outweigh these two positive attributes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit