I was a good kid because I was raised by Bible Principles

by Nosferatu 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Sometimes when I go visit my mother, she mentions that I was a good kid because I was raised by Bible Principles. I never got into drugs or theft because of Bible Principles. Is this true? I doubt it.

My childhood was filled with fear and confusion. Fear of my parents finding out anything because of physical abuse. Confusion from the physical abuse. Granted, this fear kept me from doing a lot of stupid things a lot of kids do, but the price was heavy. I had my anger supressed by my parents. I had to learn to keep it all inside. I couldn't have any freedom of speech, therefore my thoughts were kept inside. All these thoughts and emotions reaked havoc inside me. They in turn affected me physically. I had many problems with stomach pain as a child.

I was considered a "shy" person. In my opinion, this happens for a reason. The thoughts and feelings bottled up didn't need much to start seeping out. Any excess of emotion would trigger tears.

When I was in grade 3, my dog showed up at school. Hell, I should've been a proud kid showing off my dog. But it was quite the opposite. I cried. Everyone was asking me why I was crying? I had to make up excuses, although I can't remember what they were. I didn't even know why I was crying, but I couldn't stop. If you're wondering what happened, the principal drove me and my dog home. My brother was in town visiting at the time, and neither him, my mother, the principal, nor I could figure out why I was crying.

I remember another bout with my emotions "leaking". I had walked to school, and it just started coming out. I was crying for absolutely no reason at all. I felt emotional pain, and I had no clue why. I went and took comfort in the playground supervisor, and elderly lady named Mrs. Wazylowski. Little did she know, she was the only one I felt I could take comfort in. She held me in her arm and eased my crying. I normally hated being touched, but this touch was different. It wasn't conditional, it wasn't guilty, and it wasn't artificial. It was real comfort.

My stomach pains were a real problem for many years. I was often told by my mother that I was faking it. It became a reality for my mother when I was in grade 4. All morning my stomach was hurting. I told my Grade 4 teacher (who was a great guy) about the pain I was having. He told me if the need came, I could go down to the nurse's office. I continued enduring my stomach pain. I kept looking at the clock hoping for lunch hour to come so I could go home and relax a bit. Around 11:30, I felt completely ill. I went up to my teacher and told him I was going to see the nurse. I didn't even reach the end of the hallway when I threw up. Not knowing what to do with the puddle on the floor, I knocked on the teacher's door, which was in front of the puddle. She called a janitor and told me to go see the nurse. After I arrived in the nurse's office, she took my temperature (which was normal) and I was sent home with a note. My stomach was feeling much better by then, but I took full advantage of the nurse's note to stay home the rest of the day.

When I was in grade 7, the kids made fun of me because of my clothes and my religion, and they started physically hitting and kicking me. The problem was I couldn't stand up for myself. It was wrong to fight in Jehovah's eyes. I was also afraid of being labelled as the one who started a fight because of the consequences I would face at home. I was also afraid of being victorious in a fight because I was taught that winning was wrong. I felt I had no choice but to sit there and take the abuse. Because of all this, I gained a new fear - school. I couldn't escape this fear because of the other fear of what would happen if I was caught skipping school. I had noone to turn to. I had no friends because they were the ones who were picking on me. I couldn't turn to my parents because I was too ashamed of myself and I feared of what they would do. There was one option left for me - Jehovah. The problem was, Jehovah wouldn't tell me how to stop all this, neither did he provide angels to protect me (like that JW urban legend of the sister at the door with the murderer). All my emotions started leaking out physically. On top of the stomach pain, I began shaking uncontrollably before and during school. I was completely engulfed in fear.

It was only when I began leaving "bible principles" behind that I began shaking all the problems that had built up over a period of 13 years. A few years ago, I ran into a girl I went to Elementary school with who had a crush on me. She was absolutely blown away by my chattiness. She told me, "I'm just so shocked! You used to be so quiet, but here you are carrying the conversation!" I must say, I've changed for the better after abandoning the "bible principles" I was raised by.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I hear ya, Nosferatu. My parents were generally very loving people, but they were intransigent when it came to "the truth", and I grew up not knowing how to stand up for myself, sick at the mere thought of doing anything my parents disapproved of.

The thing is, part of growing up is making mistakes. Sure, parents can make a kid wonderfully behaved by micromanaging and controlling everything the kid does. But that kid is not only going to be unhappy, but is also going to lose out on some major life lessons, which they're going to have to make up for sooner or later.

• dustyb
    dustyb

i was told that too once and awhile, but i knew it was bullshiz. i just didn't want to piss anyone off because i was too small to stand up for myself, and because i didn't really know how until i graduated high school... if scaring the piss out of your kids is bible principle, then i must have been disciplined by bible principle because the elders and whatnot sure do know how to scare the piss out of kids (and even teenagers).

• Sassy
    Sassy

Nosferatu, looks like you had a lot to deal with.. I'm sorry.

I know leaving has been good for me in many ways. I do have to admit however that being a JW did keep me out of trouble. I didn't drink underage, never started smoking, didn't go to drinking party with school friends even though they begged me to go because my conscience told me I shouldn't lie to my mom and sneak and go..

I do know I missed out on some things and I am angry about that. But I do think that I might have attempted a wilder side of life if I had not been a JW and I might have been too young to experience it.

If I had a choice, I wish I had never been a JW, but if I have to have it in my past, I think there are some things that were good for me as a child.

• undercover
    undercover
    Sometimes when I go visit my mother, she mentions that I was a good kid because I was raised by Bible Principles. I never got into drugs or theft because of Bible Principles. Is this true? I doubt it.

What about all those kids that were raised by Bible principles but still got into drugs, sex, rebellion, etc? I've known many a JW youth that despite their parents best effort still got into trouble or never accepted the "truth". Some might say it was the parents fault, but yet the troubled youth's siblings all became pioneers. That doesn't make sense.

I have cousins that are not JWs. They are a very conservative bunch. In fact, they are boring. They've never even come close to getting into any kind of trouble. No drinking, smoking, out late, nothing. My siblings and I have always been the loud, fun-loving, drinking, controversial, partying ones compared to them. Now, which group was raised better by Bible principles?

• Nocturne
    Nocturne

I can totally relate Nosferatu. Being raised with fear is not a pleasant. I was always a model child, and everyone could only say good things about my behaviour, but I was unhappy most of the times.

The thing is, part of growing up is making mistakes. Sure, parents can make a kid wonderfully behaved by micromanaging and controlling everything the kid does. But that kid is not only going to be unhappy, but is also going to lose out on some major life lessons, which they're going to have to make up for sooner or later.

Euphemism,

What you said is so true. I now realize how much I have to learn now because of the way I was raised. Sometimes it just makes me so mad the amount of damage this does, and to think I know of some parents who are even more controlling.

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

i'm beginning to think we had the same parents ???

i can relate to this.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I thought the key bible principle was love -- not fear

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

(((Nos)))

So sorry you went through all that abuse.

big hugs buddy! Gypsy

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Having been raised a JW taught me discipline, if nothing else. It comes in handy quite often.

Other good benefits is having stayed away from bad/expensive habits such as drug use, smoking of any type, and drunkenness. I feel pretty good about that.

So, the experience is not all bad.

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit