CO asked for everyone 20 years old & younger for a group photo

by LevelThePlayingField 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nugget
    nugget

One CO visit all the children were asked to draw their favorite Bible character. My daughter drew Esther but when she got to the platform her mind went blank. When the CO asked her who she had drawn she said Princess Fiona.Part of me died whilst the other part of me tried hard not to laugh.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    LevelThePlayingField - "What could he possibly want with it?"

Future "romantic" prospects, probably. ()

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

@ LevelThePlayingField:

What area of Ohio did this happen?

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

The scary thing about these "youth" pictures, is i bet years from now we are going to find out that most of these pictures were strategically placed under each C.O.s mattress, for "personal study".

• Nevuela
    Nevuela

What about all the other houses of worship in various other religions who do the same thing? Baptists, Catholics, Presbyterians, etc. also like to take group photos of their congregation's youth. Why is nobody questioning the fact that religious organizations in general have a tendency to do it? Now THAT is creepy.

• GMahler
    GMahler

Something similar happened when I was a kid. One week my congregation had a visiting Bethel speaker. Towards the end of his first talk he asks all the kids in the 5-7 years of age range to come up and stand next to him on the stage. Then he does the same for kids 8-12. This continues until he has everyone under the age of 20 standing on the platform.

It's funny, when he first called for my age range I refused to go on stage. I just thought it was a stupid display of theater. As more and more kids were going onto the stage (including my younger brother), my mother was feeling the pressure and the embarrassment. I only went on stage because she forced me to.

Once we were all on stage he says "Behold, the future Mt. Pleasant congregation!", then he directs us to sing one of the Kingdom songs, which goes horribly. The speaker, noticing this, says something to the effect of parents needing to direct their arrows more carefully.

In the end, I would say that 80-90% of those who were on the stage that evening have almost nothing to do with JWs anymore. And most of those that are still involved are just going through the motions.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Sorry flipper I just saw your comment. No it was not Jaracz it was a guy named stutler sp? I mentioned this in another thread. Take care. Still Totally ADD

• Simon
    Simon

It's probably to load some feeling of "belonging" on them, to make them feel included and dedicated (if they aren't already) so that they are not as quick to leave.

yeah, I'm sure "I had a photo taken" will weight heavily on them.

Or it is to encourage older ones that it isn't a dying faith that's getting an older and older demographic - look, see, fresh blood!

Or it's a socially acceptable way of saying what would otherwise be creepy: "OK, now all the 19 year old girls, I'd like a picture of you to keep ... for my collection ..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit