Some political ramplings....

by logansrun 28 Replies latest social current

• logansrun
    logansrun

First off, when it comes right down to it...everything should be questioned and I'm not sure if the following opinions I've formulated are good or not, but...what the hell.

America is too big. It would be great if we could form four or five seperate nations from the Union, but that simply is not going to happen and would be dangerous. So, I say...de-federalize. Give more authority to state and local government within a broad framework. This would make voting more important than ever and would aid the democratic process.

Stop all immigration to this country. Close the borders. If people want freedom and opportunity let them work for this in their own countries. We do them a disservice in the long-run by letting them come here.

We have a wall of seperation between Church and State, how about an even bigger wall between Corporations and State? Corporations aren't necessarily evil but their power in politics is way too strong. Make large donations to political parties a thing of the past. Stop corporate welfare.

Americans are too dumb. We need smaller schools. Fire the goofy public school teachers and let their pay be based on performance, not tenure. Have standardized testing and let competition reign. Raise the standards for teachers by eliminating unions. Do lawyers and doctors have unions? No. Make getting a masters degree a minimal requirement and pay them gobs of money if they earn it. Take advantage of new technologies by having classrooms linked by the internet in conference lessons.

American television is banal, idiotic, crass and boring. People are getting dumber, more violent and wasting time. Tighten controls over the networks. Force them to quadruple the amount of programing in educational and news programs to be produced by independent councils of academics. Yes, this sounds draconian. So was your mother forcing you to eat spinach.

Pass a constitutional amendment calling for a balanced budget. Slash defense spending. Get rid of stupid programs that promote "family values." (that would be taken care of if you improved the quality of TV dummies!)

Tax religions. Offer deductions based on their humanitarian programs and charity work.

End the antiquated electoral college and the silliness over "primaries." Shorten the entire campaign season drastically. Allow voting to take place over the internet.

End corporate taxation but fine them mercilessly for enviornmental and humanitarian offenses. Yes this includes oversea operations boys.

Let consumers buy prescriptions from Canada and elsewhere. That would be free trad for everyone.

And that's just the start...

Bradley

• logansrun
    logansrun

And I forgot...

Get us over of Arab oil and promote nuclear energy. Why people are so phobic of that is beyond me.

• Badger
    Badger
    First off, when it comes right down to it...everything should be questioned and I'm not sure if the following opinions I've formulated are good or not, but...what the hell.

It's the thought that counts.

America is too big. It would be great if we could form four or five seperate nations from the Union, but that simply is not going to happen and would be dangerous. So, I say...de-federalize. Give more authority to state and local government within a broad framework. This would make voting more important than ever and would aid the democratic process.
    I live in Texas, orginally from Oklahoma. As much as Congress sucks, I can even less imagine giving those two state legislatures more power.

Stop all immigration to this country. Close the borders. If people want freedom and opportunity let them work for this in their own countries. We do them a disservice in the long-run by letting them come here.

I agree...Let's make it retroactive to 1492, though.

We have a wall of seperation between Church and State, how about an even bigger wall between Corporations and State? Corporations aren't necessarily evil but their power in politics is way too strong. Make large donations to political parties a think of the past. Stop corporate welfare.

true about corporate power...but you're also running the risk of inviting a reduction in responsible regulation, too.

Fire the goofy public school teachers and let their pay be based on performance, not tenure. Have standardized testing and let competition reign. Raise the standards for teachers by eliminating unions. Do lawyers and doctors have unions? No. Make getting a masters degree a minimal requirement and pay them gobs of money.

F&$% you, buddy, from a public school teacher.

American television is banal, idiotic, crass and boring. People are getting dumber, more violent and wasting time. Tighten controls over the networks. Force them to quadruple the amount of programing in educational and news programs to be decided by independent councils of academics. Yes, this sounds draconian. So was your mother forcing you to eat spinach.

First amendment, dude. Good TV is there (History Channel, Learnign Channel, ESPN).

Pass a constitutional amendment calling for a balanced budget. Slash defense spending. Get rid of stupid programs that promote "family values." (that would be taken care of if you improved the quality of TV dummies!)

Keyensian economics and deficit spending saved capitalism from collapse during the new deal.

Tax religions. Offer deductions based on their humanitarian programs and charity work.

Only if they keep opening their holy yaps on abortion again.

End the antiquated electoral college and the silliness over "primaries." Shorten the entire campaign season drastically. End corporate taxation but fine them mercilessly for enviornmental and humanitarian offenses. Yes this includes oversea operations boys.

OK, we're starting to agree....

• logansrun
    logansrun

Badger,

Don't be offended by the teacher comment. My major is secondary ed! Hey, you and I might be some of the good teachers that would benefit by getting rid of the clowns who just are in it because your workday ends at three and you don't have much accountability.

First amendment, dude. Good TV is there (History Channel, Learnign Channel, ESPN).

If you think the Learning Channel or it's parent company, The Discovery Channel, are educational...wow. Yeah, five hours of "Monster Garage" is educational. Please!

Bradley

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Logan,

Ya KNEW YERU was gonna reply. I actually agree with some of this.

I'll cut and paste the ideas I get along with.

Give more authority to state and local government within a broad framework. This would make voting more important than ever and would aid the democratic process.
    how about an even bigger wall between Corporations and State? Corporations aren't necessarily evil but their power in politics is way too strong. Make large donations to political parties a thing of the past.
    Americans are too dumb. We need smaller schools. Fire the goofy public school teachers and let their pay be based on performance, not tenure. Have standardized testing and let competition reign. Raise the standards for teachers by eliminating unions. Do lawyers and doctors have unions? No. Make getting a masters degree a minimal requirement and pay them gobs of money if they earn it. Take advantage of new technologies by having classrooms linked by the internet in conference lessons. I agree with some reservations...we need smaller classes, but our biggest problem with education in the US is parental involvement and run away "student rights." When students can curse at a teacher and only receive a light reprimand, there's a problem.
    Pass a constitutional amendment calling for a balanced budget.
    Tax religions. Offer deductions based on their humanitarian programs and charity work. Within reason, and as long as our donations are still deductible, though that's not necessary if we adopt that flat tax I like so much.
    Shorten the entire campaign season drastically. Allow voting to take place over the internet. When we get a secure system, sure.
    I have problems with some of the other suggestions, especially cutting defense spending...defense is the first business of government.
  • logansrun
    logansrun

Yeru,

defense is the first business of government.

True, so why don't we raise the defense budget three times what it already is? They have more than enough money. Far more.

Bradley

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Defense has enough money? Nope, we're still under paid, and while it's improving there are some significant financial issues in the military re Logistics.

• Badger
    Badger

Yeru: You're also underpaid and Bush is ripping off combat soldiers...charging them for medical care and meals in hospitals....

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

America was built on immigration -- stopping it would be crazy

• logansrun
    logansrun

Oh...here are some other ideas:

Have a public service draft for young people who don't have extenuating circumstances (which would be the majority). I think that would go a long way towards instilling compassion and community responsibility in young people. And the public would benefit from this service. What more could you ask for!

Legalize and regulate marijuana, de-criminalize possession of other drugs.

Put our enormous prison population to work. Let them labor their way through their terms.

B.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit