NWT Being the Most Accurate

by VIII 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• VIII
    VIII

I was going through my old files and came upon an email between some family that I was privy to. It is about the NWT Bible and Alex Trebek asking what is the most accurate Bible, etc.

I am copying and pasting this (for Nathan Natas...) so he will have so fun data to carry with him with that JW bible as he goes door-to-door.

Recently (this was years ago apparently or never?) on Jeopardy, one of the answers was "*It's the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?*" No one got the correct question, so*/ Alex Trebek said "What is the; New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, printed by the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society."/* *Book:/ "TRUTH IN TRANSLATION: ACCURACY AND BIAS IN ENGLIS TRANSLATIONS OF THE NEW TESTAMENT"/* Author: Jason David BeDuhn is the Associate Professor of Religious Studies at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff*.

I received this in an email from a JW relative touting the accuracy of the NWT. My other relative went off on a JW happy rant and then went into an Armageddon rant. Crazy! This was a few years ago. They are all so cray-cray it's astounding that they can walk in general society (see how I did that? ) and not get arrested for wanting to kill off civilization.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Accuracy in the NWT is a myth.

It's translation is rendered inaccurate in the first chapter in Genesis

Translated as 'God's active force'?

I don't think so.....

Genesis1:1-31

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.a2 Now the earth was formless and desolate,* and there was darkness upon the surface of the watery deep,*b and God’s active force*c was moving about over the surface of the waters.d
  • sir82
    sir82

The "it was on Jeopardy" is one of the most durable of JW urban legends, right up there with the Smurfs & the big angel standing behind the 2 pioneer sisters scaring away their attackers.

No one has ever actually seen a tape of that episode of Jeopardy because....wait for it....it never happened!

If anyone brings this up, press them for details - did they see the episode? See a recording of it? When did the show air? Who do they personally know who has seen it?

• zeb
    zeb

So who were the 'scholars' who did all the work?. I understand and please correct me, that there was just one and he was asked if he could read Hebrew in a court case said he could and was given some Hebrew to read and he could not read it.

One of my first steps out of the wt was the use of 'mental regulating'..and other such wt terminology.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Sir82 asking those questions you would more than likely be told a lie saying they did see it or saw a recording of it ,however they can`t remember when it was recorded because it was such a long time ago.

Its called Theocratic warfare

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Considering how BeDuhn rated the NWT highly in Truth in Translation, it is interesting how little Watchtower has referred to it. The reason is that the book is also highly critical of the NWT for its inclusion of the word Jehovah in the New Testament, and reading Truth in Translation is likely to affect the faith of a JW as much as it helps it.

• TD
    TD

In addition to what jwfacts said above, Dr. BeDuhn examined the question of bias, not accuracy. (Because of the slippery nature of language, a translation can be 100% accurate in terms of dictionary definitions and still be biased.)

And although he concluded that the NWT was the least biased of the translations he examined, he openly admitted that a different sampling of scriptures could have produced very different results.

• TD
    TD

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Accurate? The whole thing is a book of lies. Not mistakes, lies. And then the jokehovian bible further adds more lies on top of the original lies. I have heard that the translators barely knew any Hebrew or Greek letters, yet they had to translate out of those two languages? I know more German than all those translators knew Hebrew and Greek put together, yet I am not competent to translate a bible out of English into German or out of German into English. All more lies.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The JW Org loves to quote mine, using the bit of a quote that supports or perhaps even seems to flatter them, here is what BeDuhn says in a bit of a fuller version than you will see the JW org quote :

" BeDuhn: "Having concluded that the NWT is one of the most accurate English

translations of the New Testament currently available, I would be remiss if I
    did not mention one peculiarity of this translation that by most conventions of
    translation would be considered an inaccuracy, however little this inaccuracy
    changes the meaning of most of the verses where it appears. I am referring to the
    use of 'Jehovah' in the NWT New Testament. 'Jehovah' (or 'Yahweh' or some other
    reconstruction of the divine name consisting of the four consonants YHWH) is the
    personal name of God used more than six thousand times in the original Hebrew of
    the Old Testament. But the name never appears in any Greek manuscript of any book
    of the New Testament. So, to introduce the name 'Jehovah' into the New Testament,
    as the NWT does two-hundred-thirty-seven times, is not accurate translation by
    the most basic principle of accuracy: adherence to the original Greek text."
    (p. 169) "

And elsewhere he says : ( this is part of a longer quote, but the pertinent bit )

" For that very reason, interpretation is best left to commentaries on the Bible or to notes in a Bible translation. It is certainly right and proper for a note to inform the reader that the original Hebrew of the verse being quoted has YHWH; and the Jehovah’s Witnesses are perfectly entitled to believe what they do about the importance of God’s name among Jesus and his disciples. But “restoring” that name in the New Testament itself is unnecessary for either purpose. For the NW to gain wider acceptance and prove its worth over its competitors, its translators will have to rethink the handling of these verses, and they may find that that rethinking needs to extend to the use of “Jehovah” in the New Testament at all."

Embarrassing the way the JW Org lies about these things isn't it ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit