Attempted Rape and Screaming

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Of course, minimus, Watchtower assumes we can pick-and-choose portions of the Mosaic Law, when it comes to issues such as rape (and child abuse?). Interestingly, I had a very contentious fight with my brother (when he was still talking to me) about this very subject.

I asked him what he thinks he should do in case of a rape-charge between two JW?s. I told him to call 911! The "superior authorities" are "superior" right? OH NO, "a JW ?judicial committee? had to investigate," he said. He added, "it would be important for them to go to the hospital, where a rape-test could be performed, and then the Elders can get the results from the medical staff to find out if there?s a basis for such a charge!" Can you believe this? I told him he was nuts! Simply nuts! Additionally, I asked him if the Society, perhaps at Patterson, had a DNA testing lab. No doubt, if the Society truly wanted to handle cases like this, this should be available, right? Well, as usual, he did not know what to say.

Thanks for this important question! Issues like this are the "finishing nails" in the "coffin" of my trust, that JW?s have the true religion.

• minimus
    minimus

It is true that JWs LOVE to practice the laws of the Old Law Covenant. If a woman had to scream in a field, a Christian woman today MUST scream, too. Yet just because the Law required tithing-----JWs are not expected to HAVE to tithe. They make up the rules as they go along.

• minimus
    minimus

btw, I agree that women and younger girls should be taught and prepared for an assault of some kind. It's better to prepare our kids than to make believe that it could never happen to us.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I heard once that if a sister is raped, that it was grounds that a man wanting out of the marriage, could use for scriptural grounds.. I heard a story that went so far as the 'brother' arranging for a rape just to get those grounds...

If this is true, I find it unbelieveable!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Isn't it a bit IRONIC that if a JW girl or JW woman let it be known that she was learning effective ways to defend herself, the congregation would be scandalized?

"But Sister Victimnomore, you need to depend on Jehovah to protect you... yes, the members of the GB have bodyguards; what's your point? Are you a troublemaker, Sister?

I guess that proves my suggestion is of true benefit.

• Freddy Krueger
    Freddy Krueger

There was a study done awhile back (I don't remember the source.) that in the instance of being in a situation where a rape may occur. The victim was better off yelling "Fire!" then screaming or yelling rape. More people come to the rescue of people in the dangerous situation of being in a fire before they would help someone being raped.

Sad but true.

Also, as stated, self defense techniques and learning to fend off an attacker is a great way to protect and learn how to handle yourself if this horrible predicament is ever brought before you.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to carry a weapon of some sort either (mace, handgun, etc.)

"Do you feel lucky punk? Do ya?" - Dirty Harry
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The problem with a "weapon" is that no weapon defends you - it is up to YOU to defend yourself whether with a "weapon" or not.

The only real weapon is your mind. If it is frozen in brain-lock, mace, nerve gas or cluster bombs won't save you.

• minimus
    minimus

How could ANYONE make a judgment against a person, being critical of the decision THEY had to make in a life or death situation?? You should've SCREAMED is easier said than done.......As far as bringing dishonor on the congregation, tough sh*t!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm with you on THAT, Min!

• minimus
    minimus

btw, Nathan, I never got that article you were pming me about.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit