Need advice ... I'm moving

by Vivamus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

I need a bit of advice.

Or rather, I need to hear I will be fine, surviving in the big city.

Lemme start at the beginning .... I live in this tiny village, outside of Rotterdam. I work, study and go out in Rotterdam, which means I spend a ton on gas, driving up and down.

Until now, that was fine. But the house I live in, is my mum's, and she is moving back in. So I need to move out.

Now, I have the option of either taking a studio here in this tiny little village. That one will be free in April, and it's cute, but small, and still outside of Rotterdam. I'll have to pay the rent ?200 and gas ?200 which means I'll be out ?400 a month. Practically my entire paycheck. (working part-time

Now, my other option is in the city. My dad placed some phonecalls, and managed to arrange me an appartment in the south. I can have the third floor of a house, two rooms, bathroom and kitchen, ...., all mine. Rent is ?230 approx and no costs for the gas, cuz I can take the bicycle to work and college. It's close to all my friends, and two streets away from my current boyfriend, so that's promising, lol. Trouble, is .......... it's a rather bad neigbourhoud. Robbery and burning cars

My wish, would be to live in the city, I'd really like it ....

Help .....

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Tough choice! Is there any place you could live that might be a little outside Rotterdam, but accessible by public transportation? That way you don't have to drive; I don't know how much an unlimited public transport pass costs over there, but in New York it was about $60... definitely sounds cheaper than what you're spending on gas. And you can take public transport even if you're sozzled.

• flower
    flower
    Robbery and burning cars are the game of every day, and there are maybe a total of three white people living there.... I don't mean to sound like a racist,

would it make a difference in your decision if it was a bad neighborhood, robberys, burning cars ect...but there were a lot of white people there?

good luck with your decision.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Nah, Flower, that wouldn't make a difference. Rotterdam is just *that* kind of city. North is white, expensive and pretty good to live in. South, well, its mostly what I discribed...

I just don't know what to do I'll check out the appartment on Tuesday, and I can have it instantly, so thats a pro.

-

Blue Bubblegum Girl

• Satanus
    Satanus
    Robbery and burning cars

The kind of nieghbors i have is important to me. For me, that would be a very quick no. How many break ins, noisy fights by nieghbors, etc would make this apartment too costly? But, it's your nerves involved, not mine.

SS

• Xena
    Xena

I'm with SS, safety first. If you don't feel comfortable there it won't be worth it at any price.

Maybe you just need to look around a bit more...or how about a roommate?

• Satanus
    Satanus

By nieghbors, i am referring to the people who live in the same building as me, and the people up and down the street, as well as several blocks around. Ten blocks away can be trouble, but that doesn't matter much, imo.

SS

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Safety is important. But I have to admit, never having lived in the city ... the city in itself is not as safe as living in this tiny village I live in now... But at the same time, it is enticing (sp) to me to live in the city. And I'd have practically no travelling time and travelling costs ... that sounds like magic to me

Roommates ... well, I have lived alone for 7 years now, and I kinda like that. So I don't really want to have a roommate, unless he/she is already someone I know and consider my friend. Trouble is ... all my friends are already settled in appartments with other roommates

-

Blue Bubblegum Girl

• Satanus
    Satanus

One thing you could do to see what it's like, is go there and hang around. Just park on the street and watch. Read a book to kill time. Go to the nearest grocery store and buy something. Strike up a conversation w the clerk. Ask him/her questions about the area, robberies, murders, when was the last time they had a break in, gangs in the area, etc.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Thats a good idea SS, I'll do that

-

Blue Bubblegum Girl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit