I have changed a bit

by Lee Marsh 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh

For one thing I am older. This is what I look like now or at least on Jan 1, 2022.

yes, 69 years old.

I moved once.

I started a coaching service for people who are out of cults called Stronger After. I am now on hiatus.

I became a great-grandmother. Lots of knitting to do for a baby girl.

I didn't get covid.

One very peculiar thing has happened. Many of you know I have used a wheelchair for the last 20 years. I had two problems with my feet. One is metatarsalgia. That is an inflammation of the pad under your foot that covers and protects all those bones. The metatarsalgia was so bad it caused severe nerve damage in all my toes and the front of my feet. Both feet. That made walking extremely painful which is why I used a wheelchair to get out. On most days I could manage in the house as long as I wasn't on my feet too long.

I have colon cancer that has spread to my lungs.

They put me on chemo after I had the first surgery. The side effect of this drug was Hand and Foot Syndrome. Basically it peels the skin off your hands and feet layer by layer. It is ugly and distressing and painful. One doctor said in 35 years it was the worst case she had ever seen. Because the Hand/Foot Syndrome was so bad they would stop and restart the chemo. They switched me from pills to an infusion (bottle with a tube that goes into my vein in my neck and stops close to my heart). Once a week I would have to go for a new bottle. But again I had severe Hand/Foot syndrome so they would stop and start and stop and start. After 4/8 sessions they quit. It was clearly too much for my body. There is nothing else they could give me.

But here is the thing. As the layers of skin peeled off it my feet and hands it was replaced by healthy tissue.

I can walk again!!!!!

My friend drove me to the grocery store and I walked through it (masked of course). I haven't been able to do that in over 20 years!

I still have to go slow. Cancer is definitely slowing me down but I can do it. It is just so amazing to be able to do simple things that we take for granted. If I do too much I suffer at night. The metatarsalgia is greatly improved but the nerve damage it caused is permanent. So for many things or who knows how this cancer makes feel, I still need the wheelchair.

You just never know what good things can come out of the bad.

And I still have a baby great-granddaughter to meet.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Life is a combination of things we tend to like and things we tend to dislike. The more we are accepting of the negative the more joy we receive in the positive aspects of life. Life is the greatest of all miracles. You seem to have figure all that out.

Be happy & well!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Well well, you put me to shame Lady Lee with the way that you cope with your health problems.

May I say, looking at your new photo that I would not have guessed from that , what you tell us. You still look good ….🥀

• usualusername1
    usualusername1

Wow wow and wow on walking 🖤💚❤️

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh

You are all making my laugh and smile. Thank you so much. You have officially become part of my recovery

• Gorb
    Gorb

Thanks for the update. You are an example of a strong person. We all need that, these times!

Thanks!!!

Gorby

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Nice to see you back! It sounds like you are "eating the elephant one bite at a time!" Stay strong, and I look forward to hearing more from you.

Best, TYA

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

It's a hellava thing.

My current cancer experience in ways is like yours Lee Marsh. In ways different. My estranged jw sister and I were diagnosed weeks apart. That, plus issues of caring for our father gave us something to reconnect over. Hadn't had conversation in 20 years, now we texted pictures of birds and sunsets and talked like no time had been lost. She passed quickly. Whereas my chemo,rad, surgery has given me more time it appears. Ridiculous as it was that we hadn't been able to be closer all those years, it took this to tell each other we still loved each other.

I've often contemplated just how many times I have won the lottery of life, just being here to watch the world go round, having a home, a true partner....I always knew eventually luck would run low. It has to be that way. But even at its lowest I've had good things to celebrate.

Hope the same for you and everyone.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Good to see you Lady Lee, may you long yet thrive, or, if you appreciate some Scots: lang may yer lum reek.

I wonder if you hear from Jgnat at all? There are lots of old timers around at the moment.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Well Hello LadyLee. You were one of the people who woke me up around 2006/07, with this site and books like CoC and In Search of Christian Freedom, by Ran Franz. If it were not for this site, I would have never known about Ray Franz or such books.. You were instrumental too!!!

Amazing, I was just thinking about you. I stumbled across your interview during the pandemic lockdown I was just thinking about you wondering how you were.

Hello, Hello!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit