Dunkirk.

by zeb 38 Replies latest social current

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I saw it this weekend in an Imax cinema, the assault on the senses gave some idea of the naked fear those on the beach and below decks in vulnerable vessels must have experienced. It is no surprise that those involved treated the memory of the events and that of the fallen with a sort of reverence. The poppy symbol means something in the UK and so it should even though it refers to the earlier war.

On a lighter note, the Thames barge featured in the film, (the little ship with the red sails) is available as living accommodation, birthed in London, for £425,000)

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

It was very good. Although that Heinkel bomber seemed to be a threat for most of the film. Plus the UK rolling stock used in the railway scenes were way too modern.

• Hecce
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I can't wait to see it.

The truth is, though, that it was Hitler's resistance to finishing his trapped prey off that allowed them to escape.

• cofty
    cofty

There was nothing Hitler would have wanted more than to destroy the British army on the beaches. He thought he could do the job with planes. He didn't count on British ingenuity. Mustering an armada of small craft was genius.

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

Beautiful film, especially the ending, saw it all in IMAX and it was so beautiful

• Steel
    Steel

Fighting the United Kingdom meant you were fighting Canada, Australia, new Zealand, south Africa and potentially millions of colonial troops. Also the Americans wouldn't be far behind.

Hitler extended some mercy to English soldiers at Dunkirk in an effort to have a negotiated peace with the British Empire.

Hitler has no Quarl with the British. He was really about finishing off the slavs, jews and communists.

• cofty
    cofty
    Hitler has no Quarl with the British. He was really about finishing off the slavs, jews and communists

What a bizarre statement!

Is this myth taught in American schools? I bloody hope not.

• Steel
    Steel

Hitler didn't consider the British as sub humans that needed to be either wiped out or enslaved.

The 400000 British only got out of Dunkirk alive because the nazis let email.

• waton
    waton

I remember the german pro english, sentiment in the 1930s, They even had their royal family link, Edward, picked, When England rebuffed them, declared war on them and not the poland invading Russians too, that anglo phil feeling soured, and anti english propaganda films about the Boer war etc appeared, prepared for the worst to come. going to see it, even if I really hate war. Living through the real thing was already once too much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit