Dunkirk.

by zeb 38 Replies latest social current

• dogon
    dogon

Patton said he would rather have a german division ahead of him than a french one behind him.

• TD
    TD

Definitely a "must see."

• cofty
    cofty

One of the best films I have seen.

It is three overlapping stories told from the perspective of The Royal Air Force, the men on the beach and the boats that rescued them.

More than 300,000 British soldiers were brought home by an armada of civilian vessels. Churchill had feared that number might be as low as 30,000. They lived to fight another day and, with the help of the USA, defeat the Nazis in 1945.

• Simon
    Simon

Can't wait to see it, it's an amazing story.

The little ships of Dunkirk that risked so much to save so many (many making multiple trips) are allowed to fly a special insignia and take part in a commemorative trip across the channel every 5 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ships_of_Dunkirk

It was Dunkirk that gave rise to Churchills "Fight them everywhere" speech because the expectation was that Britain would soon be invaded. That is why they started building up the home guard who for a while were better equipped and would conduct a guerrilla campaign - not the quaint setup of "Dads Army" though, their first orders would be to kill the local constable who knew their identities (due what the Nazi occupiers did in mainland Europe to root out and quash resistance).

"We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

• Heartsafire
    Heartsafire

I saw it and will never forget it. Excellent movie, acting, and cinematography. A must see on the big screen.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Its on my to see list. A remarkable piece of history brought to life on the big screen ,so I believe.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Excellent movie by itself, but I always appreciate the reminders of the high cost of peace and how fragile it is.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I intend to go see it soon.

The "French surrender monkey" meme is unfair. French soldiers fought well, their problem was an officer corps that could not adapt to the new style of war fast enough. They were beaten in the staff planning rooms, not on the battlefield.

• zeb
    zeb

yes 'Blitzkrieg' or lightning war. Come up against something to strong go around it. and I agree fully with your comment JeffT re the French soldiers.

• freddo
    freddo

Apologies for the "cheese eating surrender monkeys" line. Poor taste in the circumstances.

It is a line from the Simpsons when the Scottish groundsman has to stand in for a teacher and take a French language class. Built upon by Jeremy Clarkson in Top Gear when referring to manufacturers of French cars.

It is a favourite banter-line among not so subtle Brits like me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit