Whats wrong with windows?

by Strawberryfieldsforever 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Strawberryfieldsforever
    Strawberryfieldsforever

I was wondering why all the newly built kingdom halls don't have windows anymore! I remember going to the hall in the 70's and we had lots of windows. Then they started building them without. Do any of you know why?

• Wallflower
    Wallflower

Cheaper?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

My guess is that windows provide a distraction from what is being said from the podium. Hell, I'd rather watch a dog taking a shit rather than trying to pay attention to a boring talk.

• freelife
    freelife

This way no one can see the apostates demonstrating outside the hall.

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

Yes, the "distraction" factor and also the cost factor are two important reasons but the third is security. Kingdom Halls, along with other churches are often targets for vandalism, having no windows lessens their vulnerability. Bear in mind that Witnesses believe in "the signs of the times" and the "Great Tribulation", where social anarchy and persecution is supposed to increase.

• Matty
    Matty

Doh!!!! That was me by the way, not SpiceItUp!

• Puternut
    Puternut

Depends on the country you live in. I worked on KH projects in the US and the 'no windows' rule, was mainly due to security issues. Minor reasons were, distraction and AC/Heat efficiences. But if you go south or to other countries there are many halls with windows. I was in Hawaii a number of years ago and they all had glass shutters. Same for the Island I grew up, in the Caribbean, all halls had windows.

Africa and some other counties have merely a roof and even no walls. But than you have to sit on a concrete block, or a log also.

• Matty
    Matty

The local authority may dictate this also. A windowless KH planning application may not be acceptable to council officials. This happened in a KH project I worked on in the UK - the standard template had to be changed to be sympathetic with surrounding buildings.

• pdx
    pdx

I went to A hall in the 80s that had windows, but they were being broken into about once A year. So they filled in the windows, but after that, the cars in the parking lot were getting stolen. So they had to send out parking lot patrols.

Now that's A fun job. Get up and walk around the parking lot every 5-15 min.

• petespal2002
    petespal2002

I was sitting next to a window once, when an air rifle pellett whistled past my ear. Livened up the public talk no end.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit