What do you say when the Mormons come by?

by MegaDude 23 Replies latest jw friends

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

I avoid them for they give me the creeps. They look and act just like jws.

• bebu
    bebu

I have sat thru their presentations very quietly, taking notes. Even watched a video, once. Then, after a lot of listening, I finally started asking questions.

These days, I can cut to the chase. I tell them that I have already been thru many presentations (this usually makes them look relieved, like maybe they can skip past a bunch of their big schpiel), and have never been able to get the "red flags" answered. That no Mormons have returned to answer them.

Every single one has offered to answer my questions. So, we make an appointment in 1 week or so. They come, and all of the objections they were expecting to hear are never brought up (they always assume it will be a prophecy issue). Instead, I have copies of irrefutable documents (much like the UN scandal) and special facsimiles of their own Book of Mormon's first edition (published by LDS presses). Things they were never prepared for. It's a lot of information. I tell them: the only difference between my opinion and yours is information. If you won't read this, you will never be able to convert me. If you can understand this and explain all the points that puzzle me, then you will be helping me move toward conversion.

I've been able to get one pair to take home "apostate" information to read . When they returned later, they were honest enough to admit that they could offer no excuses or reasons (I swear this is true: they sat with their heads bowed at my table, lost for words.) And then I respectfully urged them to check further; that there was more information they had been shielded from. I have a real hope that about half of them really listened to me. I've had some awesome conversations with Mormon "elders".

It was a lot of investment of time, but I was in Japan during the time I got those first calls by Mormons and JWs, and had time to research. Also, my husband's sister was a long-time Mormon (she has been out for over a year now ), so I had motivation. It's so much easier to find online info now. Jerald and Sandra Tanner are the Ray Franz team of Mormonism. Look them up online if you want!

Be warned: A Mormon's whole testimony boils down to a "burning bosom", and they will usually go into a zombie-like state when they give their testimony. This is how they keep their head above water when you ask them something tough. And it sounds spiritual to talk so fervently, too . Unless you've got some good solid info and good approach, you'll spin your wheels.

It's very much like talking with JWs.

I guess my advice would be: take them up on their offer to help you! Keeps them off the street, at any rate.

bebu

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Thank you, Bebu, for the informative post. I thought your approach was right on the money, especially using irrefutable documents. You're right, it is a huge investment of time. Geez, when I think how much time I spent researching just the Watchtower doctrine and history.....

Be warned: A Mormon's whole testimony boils down to a "burning bosom", and they will usually go into a zombie-like state when they give their testimony. This is how they keep their head above water when you ask them something tough. And it sounds spiritual to talk so fervently, too .

Yeah, but you can turn the tables on them and give your own fervent testimony. In talking with JWs, I find that this is actually one of the biggest wrenches you throw in the JW's spokes, as it were. I would imagine it would work as well on Mormons.

Thanks again for the leads on getting some good info.

• bebu
    bebu

I ordered a book about the Pearl of Great Price, and the Book of Abraham in particular. It went into very careful explanation (with facsimiles) about the nature of the problem and its impossible problems.

In a nutshell, Joseph Smith came across some Egyptian papyrus and then spent some time "translating" them. He claimed that God showed him that they were actually writings from Abraham--the Book of Abraham, he called it. God helped him to translate it. This went for around 100 years until the rosetta stone was discovered and allowed for the understanding the meaning of they hieroglyphs. At this point, all was undone for Smith's reputation as a translator.

When Smith is proven a fraud, I ask the Mormon boys, "how am I supposed to trust Joseph Smith to have translated golden plates (Book of Mormon), when later in his career he is shown to have deceived everyone with the Book of Abraham?"

Believe me, there is enough scandal in Mormonism to make the ex-JWs jealous!

http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/changech11a.htm

http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/nytimes1912papyrus.htm

http://www.utlm.org/booklist/titles/ub018_flawsinthepearlofgreatprice.htm

http://www.utlm.org (The main website of Utah Lighthouse Ministries)

Hope these help!

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit