What do you say when the Mormons come by?

by MegaDude 23 Replies latest jw friends

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Just got through having a conversation with two Mormons going door to door on this cold Saturday here in Fort Worth, Texas. Damn, they remind me so much of Jehovah's Witnesses it isn't even funny: The same zeal, the same conviction, the same confidence. As a matter of fact, they seemed a lot more of all these things.

I allowed them to give their little testimony. I gave them mine. Also a short discourse in the history of why organized religion can't be trusted. But I was friendly, and they seemed happy someone wasn't calling them a cult or trying to "save" them. They want to come back. Geez, maybe I was too friendly. But I even mentioned the recent bestseller "Under the Banner of Heaven" and they were unfazed. That's the equivalent of mentioning "Crisis of Conscience" or "Ray Franz" to a JW. The only difference is, the JWs beat a hasty retreat before their weak faith can be confronted.

What do you say when the Mormons come by?

• Sargon
    Sargon

You've reminded me of a time when they did come by when I was half in the bag...

I invited them in and told them I've been giving alot of thought to religion lately. I said "hang on guys while I grab my coat, I'm coming with you. Let's go Knock some doors... " (by now these two are pretty stunned)

"Seriously guys, I'm converted lets go share our beleifs... I'm a bloody mormon now too."

You've never seen two mormon elders high-tail it as fast as these did, and they've never been back. it always amazes me with the mormons how they send out kids just out of high-school all with labels identifying them as elders.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

• mustang
    mustang

First, check for bicycles:

Next, a big toothy grin is applied.

Then let them spiel: OK, they aren't a JC at my door

I've no quarrel with these gentlemen and I know that they aren't going to get anywhere with me. On a good day, i will share with them that when I was pIONEERING, we worked the same street one morning with the Mormons

Finally, thanks, but no thanks

Mustang

• foreword
    foreword

I guess at one point they thought they had a new recruit....the only thing I got out of it was that I thought Joseph Smith was a smart cookie to come up with the concept....almost fried my brain trying to figure out their belief system....

One day this lady across the hall had to move, and I was the only one there to help her out, so I told her, hey I'll get some cheap labor. Called up the mormon boys, since they had told me that it was required of them to do some community work....asked them if they could help me move her and they did. The lady was more than impressed, and thought they were very polite....and well....handsome. I sort of felt bad of taking advantage of them...lol....but in a sense they did get what they wanted out of the deal...to impress.

At the time I was trying to get reinstated, so I invited them to come at the hall and they did...lol. During the time I was going to meetings (bout six months), I think I'm the only one who brought someone new to the hall......

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Last time they called I asked for a copy of Doctrine and Covenants but they would only give me a copy of The Book of Mormon -- which I alraedy have a copy of -- not seen them since

• maxwell
    maxwell

I've seen the mormon guys around here several times on their bikes. But they have only spoken to me once. They must have parked their bikes somewhere that day. I was still a JW at the time and the came up to me as I was walking down the street and gave me at tract. So I smiled and waited for them to say something thinking maybe we'd have an interesting conversation, deviously thinking to myself, you guys don't know that I do the same thing you do. But they didn't seem to be in the mood to talk. They just wanted me to have the little piece of paper and they kind of excused themselves and went on down the street.

I commute on my bike to work, so maybe one day I'll run into them while out riding. That has happened before but they were going in the opposite direction. Maybe we'll be going the same direction someday and I'll ask can I come preaching with them for a while just for old times sake.

• Beans
    Beans

Goodbye!

• petespal2002
    petespal2002

I say I'm a JW. Works a charm.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

LOLOL@Beans

Man, Beans, I probably would do that except I feel so sorry for them because they remind me of me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit