WHAT VIEW SHOULD WE HAVE NOW THAT WE DONT SEE THINGS THE WTS WAY?

by fearnotruth22 26 Replies latest jw friends

• fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

I thought that the wts had all of the answers, but now I dont know anything for sure, I am comnvinced though of the existence of God and that thers is more to life than what we are experiencing now. But I am not going to get imvolved in the mechanics of worhiping God via religion joining them or to get enveloed in those believes .

I have a simple philosophy. I want to enjoy life pursuing my interests and pleasures and I enjoy being nice to people.

But as far as the Bible and Religion is concerned, I still enjoy debating with others intellectually.

Does anyone have any answers aboutGod, The Bible, and how to live our lives in relation to our fellow man?

• dustyb
    dustyb

believe whatever you want. I was in my communications class, and me and a few other people had a few things to say about....believing in yourself. No matter what you do, you're going to piss somebody off because you're not doing what they want you to do. So do whats right in your heart, at least you won't piss off yourself....

"I don't believe in the Beatles, I just believe in me" -- John Lennon

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

That is somewhat me in a nutshell too. I am not to keen on debating the bible and religion, but I am happy discussing it openly.

Remember in Interview With A Vampire, when Lestadt/Tom Cruise was telling Loui?/Brad Pitt about when he became a vampire, and he "looked upon the world with my new vampire eyes"? That is what I try to do, see the world with my mind cleared of belief and assumptions.

p.s.-I really like that wolf avatar you have she/he is interesting

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Does anyone have any answers aboutGod, The Bible, and how to live our lives in relation to our fellow man?

Have you done research on secular humanism? It is an interesting approach to your question.

Here's the link to one site: http://www.religioustolerance.org/humanism.htm

This web page deals with many varieties of humanism, but concentrates on secular (non-religious) humanism, that is, ethical behavior motivated by the love of our fellow man rather than by a belief in the heaven/hell reward/punishment model.

And here's the part that relates most closely to your topic.

Ethical Behavior Without a Belief in God

Many people feel that ethical and moral behavior must be based on the absolute teachings found with the Christian Bible. Without a belief in the Christian God, the hope of Heaven and the threat of Hell, they believe that an individual will not be motivated to behave decently. This belief was seen in a US military policy in past decades which only allowed persons who believed in a God to achieve conscientious objector status.

Humanists have successfully developed moral and ethical systems which are independent of divine revelation from a deity. They are based upon such beliefs as:

bulletSystems of morality and ethics can be developed through mutual agreement much like we develop laws and social customs
    bulletThey can be based upon common needs that humans have for survival, security, personal growth and love
    bulletHumans are social animals who can make the greatest achievements through mutual cooperation
    bulletPeople will willingly follow humanistic codes because they are effective; reasonable; lead to self esteem; are consistent with one's natural feelings of caring, compassion and sympathy; are accepted by others, and do not lead to condemnation or rejection. No system of rewards and punishment are needed to enforce them.
  • fearnotruth22
    fearnotruth22

great links goph!!!!!!

• El blanko
    El blanko

Gophers links are good and it is wise to remember that when you exit any institution, not to cast your standards down.

But, do not leave GOD out of the equation. You are still part of the creation. It may be an idea to write an essay about yourself and your beliefs and then review your essay. Anything that seems flimsy and not based upon reason needs to be torn apart and examined with fresh eyes.

Then after much thought and study, write the essay again (or list) and see how close you are to agreeing with the definition of self. Part of your journey may involve simply knowing where you stand in your own heart and mind.

• Amazing
    Amazing

I have fewer answers now, than when I first left the JWs ... but I am correspondingly happier.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I'm like Amazing, the more I contemplate and search for answers, the more I realize there are no provable answers, just opinions. I feel my opinions are just as good as any ones, especially since they are the ones that will effect my life. I like listening to others thoughts though, and realize my opinions are sometimes just as bogus as others.

Ken P.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Fear no, you wrote:

"WHAT VIEW SHOULD"

"Should" is always from someone else. When I look for "shoulds", I am looking for someone else's ideas. If I look at someone else's ideas, I want that person to be a pragmatist. There are too many gurus in the world telling sincere people to drink cool aid or decline modern medical treatment.

I think the first thing a person should do after leaving a high control group after the initial exit counseling and education, is to develop a working set of bull s--t detectors. That's the best protection from becoming a victim of another wannabe mystic.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

I think the first thing you "should do" is condition yourself NOT to be dependant on answers from anyone else. The Borg spoon-feeds people with all the answers and I think people (once myself) come to rely on someone else to chart their course in life. It's actually much more comforting knowing there are very few boundaries or 'answers' in life.

If you want a creed try this one..... "I have a simple philosophy. I want to enjoy life pursuing my interests and pleasures and I enjoy being nice to people. "

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit