Are you an organ donor?

by onintwo 13 Replies latest jw friends

• onintwo
    onintwo

What shoud I tell 'em, part me out or not?

They want my heart, lungs, liver, kidneys and corneas! At least that's what the lady asked when I renewed my drivers license today. Would I like to be an organ donor?

I'm not sure if they ask everyone this question, (so there's no discriminating by age) but do they only REALLY want young body parts? I mean, hey, some of these parts have quite a few miles on them. Actually all of them do.

I'm interested in what others think about this. Are you a donor? The little pamplet they gave me states that they can also use your veins, thin layers of skin, bone, blood, ligaments, tendons and cartillage. Can you believe it? I may be worth more dead than alive, hell I'm sitting on quite a stock of all of this stuff.

So, what should I tell 'em, part me out, or not?

Onintwo

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Please be a donor!

Around 4,000 Americans die every year awaiting transplants. If your death could possibly save one of those people, wouldn't that be worth something?

• shamus
    shamus

Yes, I'm a donor. My body is also being donated for medical science. I don't need to be buried in the ground.

• onintwo
    onintwo

Yes, Euphemism, but are they waiting for OLD parts?

Onintwo

• Special K
    Special K

Yes I'm a donor...lungs, heart, kidneys, .. most internal organs...

I feel it's the right thing to do. Is there any greater gift than the gift of life, sight, hearing...?

sincerely

Special K

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

onintwo... some of your parts might be less worn than others.

In all seriousness, I think that the best thing you can do is to sign the card and let doctors make that judgment. Most deaths are not suitable for organ donation; but IMHO, that's all the more reason for as many people as possible to sign up to donate.

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Yes! I won't need my guts when I'm gone. lol. I would think some parts stay pretty usable - and like a previous poster said, the doctors can decide.

I like the idea of donating one's body to science -- is that something your family takes care of when you die, or is there "pre-registration"? (man, sounds like college scheduling...)

too tired here!

SLM

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I''ll donate an Oregon.

CG

• Puternut
    Puternut

I donate my organ almost every night. Thanks for asking........

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Even though I no longer carry a drivers license, when I applied for my new provincial health care card, there's a question on the application, regarding: organ donation.

The only thing I had to do was, get my brother to sign it, with my presence to make it: legit and so forth.

If there's anything that can be used before the barbecue, then by all means: if it can help/save 1 or more person: go for it!

I have allowed a clause in my 'after death' that if they need cadavers for scientific purposes/research: that's OK by me too.

I think, personally, it's an honourable thing to do.

But, it's also a choice to be made by you: the living individual.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit