I don't get why some point to the no tolerance for gays and subjugation of women as a JW thing.

by blownaway 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Intentional, TD

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed
    If you are going to believe in the bible as the word of god you have to believe that women are not to be in a position over a man, that gays are gross sinners and the bible condemns them to death.

@blownaway,

Could you cite the actual places in the bible where these things are states as truths, please? Can you tell me where it says that I have to believe that? And can you do it from a bible that isn't the JW bible, please? And can you also tell me the historical context in which these things were written? And can you use the non-JW bible to prove that these ideas were meant to last for eternity, please?

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

I know the Bible does forbid same-sex sex. Amongst fellas anyway. Plus it also says man is head over the woman, (although all that stuff is over 2000 years old). So it causes me some small amusement that our Queen Elizabeth is Head of the Church of England and also had to sign off the new law permitting same-sex marriage.

• TD
    TD

Intentional, TD

Hence the smiley

Hopefully the point isn't lost on the OP

• Scully
    Scully

You'd also have to accept the punishment of stoning for adultery or fornication. They're cool with raping though, as long as you pay her dad 30 shekels, you get to marry her and never divorce her.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

According to the Pew survey JWs are by far the most homophobic religious group, more so even than Mormons or Evangelicals. And those groups are likely to soften more quickly than JWs in response to societal norms. So I think it’s fair to say JWs are beginning to stand out on this issue.

The chart on this page shows that JWs stand out.

https://religionnews.com/2015/11/03/mormons-50-more-likely-to-accept-homosexuality-than-in-2007-says-new-pew-study/

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Wild_Thing - "It has always confused me as to why 'Christians'are so willing to condemn gays and subjugate women because the Bible says so, but they don't want to stone their children to death for disobeying..."

It's a fundamental irony that even the most rabid Biblical literalists still practice the exact same damn pick-and-choose theology they accuse everyone else of doing.

• Simon
    Simon
    It has always confused me as to why "Christians" are so willing to condemn gays and subjugate women because the Bible says so, but they don't want to stone their children to death for disobeying or offer up their children as a burnt sacrifice.

That's easy to explain though, the Mosaic law was made obsolete and done away with. Most of the old-testament that people point to when they want to criticize Christianity is rarely followed as 'current rules' by anyone.

• cofty
    cofty
    According to the Pew survey JWs are by far the most homophobic religious group - SBF

When a bible believer answers no to the question of whether 'homosexuality should be accepted by society', it does not necessarily equate with 'homophobia'.

• sir82
    sir82

That's easy to explain though, the Mosaic law was made obsolete and done away with.

Most of the old-testament that people point to when they want to criticize Christianity is

rarely followed as 'current rules' by anyone.

True to a point, but there's still plenty of anti-homosexual rhetoric in Paul's writings, and he certainly was no proponent of women for church leadership roles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit