I don't get why some point to the no tolerance for gays and subjugation of women as a JW thing.

by blownaway 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Saying that homosexuality “should not be accepted by society” is an even stronger statement against gay people than opposition to gay marriage. Dictionaries define homophobia as prejudice against homosexual people. If saying that homosexuality doesn’t belong in society is not prejudiced, then what is?

Anyway my main point is that, whatever the question, or whatever your definition, JWs stand out as being more opposed to homosexuality than other groups. This gap will probably widen even further, until Watchtower changes its teaching.

• steve2
    steve2

The Mosaic law code was superseded and done away with - but, according to JWs and others, not the principles. Hence, for example, the two witness rule prevails despite its origins in the Mosai law code.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

The Bible is full of ancient and often contradictory principles. It's Christian denominations and their preachers that choose what elements to focus on.

So you might have fervent anti-gay denominations that'll quote anti-gay principles chapter and verse, but will look the other way when it comes to divorce, a subject on which Jesus actually spoke against forcefully.

Just about every denomination now ignores counsel against sloth and gluttony even though the Bible is pretty forcefully against such sins.

So when someone says "Hey, don't blame me, it's in the Bible" it ignores the fact that people choose which sins to focus on and which sins to ignore.

• steve2
    steve2

Well said neverendingjourney.

The number of active JWs I knew who had significant drinking problems but because it happened out of the public eye (no overt ugly drunken behavior no socailzing with others at drinking establishments), they got away with it.Also, I have never heard of a JW being disfellwoshipped for gluttony or greed - yet it is clear that a good number of them are dangerously outside a healthy BMI.

As with all people who quote the Bible, selectivity is the norm.

• TD
    TD

So much JW baggage on this thread.

I've noticed over the years that people leaving JW's either jump into another fundy group; try to start their own; or become atheist/agnostic.

Few seem to have any use for liberal forms of Christianity, and I wonder if perhaps. JW views of the Bible and what it is play a part in that.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    TD - ..."Few seem to have any use for liberal forms of Christianity, and I wonder if perhaps JW views of the Bible and what it is play a part in that."

Absolutely.

I've said many times here that - credit where credit's due - the WTS did a very thorough job inoculating the vast majority of us against any other form of religious expression.

One of the few forms of baggage I've taken with me (out of the Org) that doesn't actually weigh anything.

• steve2
    steve2

TD and Vidiot,you "credit" the organization with turning people off organized religion whereas oftentimes people who show an interest in JW organization are already cynical about organized religion (which JW organization says it is different from other organized religions).

Just as JW organization alleges all sorts of nebulous influences on those who become apostate, ex-JWs also have a tendency to allege all sorts of nebulous influences on other ex-JWs who do not subscribe to their new found religious beliefs.

And on and on it goes. My own agnosticism emerged from my own critical thinking abilities. As a younger man I had so wanted Christianity to be the answer but the more I researched and studied, the more I came to the conclusion that religion is not the answer. Do I mind that other ex-JWs come to a different conclusion? Not at all. To each their own. Did my JW upbringing influence my conclusion? Yes - but it was not the major factor which I credit to my own thinking processes. This is where a JW-inclined person would say: "Ah, but what else within you was at work? Satan's influence? Pride?" And round and round it goes.

• TD
    TD

Steve

My comment was actually more speculative than definite and like I said, I am on the atheist end of agnosticism myself.

JW's and kindred groups hold a litany of a priori assumptions about the Bible that other faiths, especially those who recognize larger canons don't necessarily hold.

One of these is the idea that all parts, regardless of literary genre are equal and therefore a liberal view of female ministers, same sex marriage, etc. can be arrived at only via a form of intellectual dishonesty. Unless I am mistaken, that was in fact the basic premise of the thread and I don't think it necessarily follows. It comes down to what you believe the Bible to be.

Obviously I don't have a problem with a person, who through critical thinking skills, renounces religion entirely. However if a person truly, honestly believes in the Christian God, it seems (to me at least) that a more benign form of Christianity would be a better alternative than say, becoming a follower of Robert King.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    steve2 - "...Vidiot, you 'credit' the organization with turning people off organized religion whereas oftentimes people who show an interest in JW organization are already cynical about organized religion..."

Oh, I realize that.

When I say it, I'm being kind of ironic and facetious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit