Do u believe in God??

by JW72 16 Replies latest jw friends

• JW72
    JW72

Hi everyone, I don't know if I believe in God or not.

Can someone give me a really convincing reason why to believe in him or not.

Or is it just down to faith???

Faith in God is a bit like playing the lottery.

You have to sacrifice £1 a week, but you might just win. You may as well, it's not much of a sacrifice, infact it helps people (lottery money helps projects/investments), but the prize is well worth winning.

Anyone like my anallergy (Is that how you spell it?)

Comments very welcome.

Chris
    (Of the "get 4 choccy bars or a lottery ticket??" class)

• logical
    logical

God exists.

The proof is all around... its just impossible for everything to be here out of chance. It was all created.

On a side note...

(lottery money helps projects/investments),

Yeah, helps the rich get richer and the poor stay poor. Its a fools tax, not really a good analogy.

• Big Jim
    Big Jim

(some good quotes on atheism)

It is an insult to God to believe in God. For on the one hand it is to suppose that he has perpetrated acts of incalculable cruelty. On the other hand, it is to suppose that he has perversely given his human creatures an instrument -- their intellect -- which must inevitably lead them, if they are dispassionate and honest, to deny his existence. It is tempting to conclude that if he exists, it is the atheists and agnostics that he loves best, among those with any pretensions to education. For they are the ones who have taken him most seriously.

If therefore my work is negative, irreligious, atheistic, let it be remembered that atheism -- at least in the sense of this work -- is the secret of religion itself; that religion itself, not indeed on the surface, but fundamentally, not in intention or according to its own supposition, but in its heart, in its essence, believes in nothing else than the truth and divinity of human nature.

I'm an atheist and I thank God for it.

An atheist may be simply one whose faith and love are concentrated on the impersonal aspects of God.

• God_knows
    God_knows

There is no question about KNOWING God, whether you can prove it or not. He really CANNOT be proven to the satisfaction of your run of the mill atheist, no matter what you do or say to prove to them He is real.

Do I believe in God? Yes, OH YES!

I used to be an atheist/agnostic, I sort of wavered back and forth between the viewpoints. After a time, however, I sort of got this nagging feeling in the back of my mind, a feeling like, in spite of all the spouting off I did, saying there was no God, WHAT IF I WAS WRONG?
    I accepted the Word made flesh, Jesus Christ, in 1995, and have not looked back since. And WILL not.

Greatest of love to all of you! I love youuuuuuuuuuuuu.....

• JW72
    JW72

Logical, I actually think my analogy was quite good because I think the money used from the lottery is about as useful as being christian-like is to the world.
    For some things it helps, and some it doesn't.

Just because we don't know how we got here doesn't PROVE that God exists or that he created us.

Does anyone think that if you ACT like a beleiver in God (Christian-like) but don't actually beleive in him, he will save you, if he exists??

I'm full of shitty little questions like that, sorry.

Chris

P.S Logical, I don't want to offend you, I'm just asking questions that I need to ask. Please don't bite my head off, or fall out with me.

• JW72
    JW72

God Knows, WHY do u beleive in God?

Is it so that you'll be saved in the end or go somewhere better, or because you genuinely think that he WANTS you to beleive in him, or because you genuinely LOVE him??

If he's so AMAZING why should he care if I beleive in him or not??

What if you are incapable of loving??

Chris

• eeyore
    eeyore

Chris...

The lottery money goes mostly on football staduims, opera houses, multi-million £ domes scheduled for destruction after a year... whilst the poor spend pound after pound on trying to grasp a far-fetched prize of a large sum of money.

The non-profit company who wanted to run the lottery was cheated out of it, so Camelot could continue to make a large profit and plenty of others could live in corrupt luxury...

There are hospitals and schools being shut down accross the country, not enough money to fund them...

And you say its a good analogy?

• JAVA
    JAVA

Chris,

Can someone give me a really convincing reason why to believe in him or not.

No, I can't give you a convincing reason to believe in fairy tales. However, some fairy tales have value in that they promote fairness and values. Some are about trolls hiding under bridges using fear and control to frighten and murder little children and their parents.

I don't see anything wrong with following your bliss and picking a myth, just don't get religious about it. When that happens people become hateful, self-righteous, and wish others a painful death for not believing their religious theory. Of course, you can always believe in yourself if mythology doesn't work.

--JAVA
    ...counting time at the Coffee Shop

• JW72
    JW72

Java, You answered my question in a loaded way.

You said that you couldn't answer my question, but at the same time told me that it is a 'fairy tale'.

I agree that God and Satan(I think!) are inside us, as our conscience.

It is, as you say, a good story of good and bad, morals, and above all, HOPE!!

Chris

• JW72
    JW72

Logical,I know for a fact that the lottery has put money into VERY worthwhile projects.

Religion, however has caused the death of MILLIONS of people.

Not that bad an analogy.

My mums job is funded by the lottery.

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit