Do u believe in God??

by JW72 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Introspection
    Introspection

What are you including as religion?

• rem
    rem

The problem with believing in god because of "Pascal's Wager" is which god is the true one? There is Brahma, Allah, Yahweh, Zeus, and more. Most of these gods say they are the only god and there is a specific way to worship them. So now you are still screwed if you choose the wrong god. The god you choose usually depends on where you are born. If you are born here in the US, chances are you will believe Jesus or Jehovah (or a combination thereof) are god. If you are born in India, your concept of god will be very different. But in either case, you are offending another god - actually many other gods. So really the odds aren't much better either way. As an atheist, you actually stand the chance to offend less gods because you worship and believe in no god.

rem

• Sunchild
    Sunchild

If you're referring strictly to the Bible's God, I'm afraid I can't give you any reason to keep believing in him, but could give you dozens of reasons why his existence seems unlikely. If you're referring to "God" in a more general way -- i.e. as a concept, but not necessarily as a personage -- it all comes down to your own perceptions and how you choose to define them.

So, why don't we start with this: What do you mean by "God"?

*Rochelle.

---------
    "Most men complacently accept 'knowledge' as 'truth'. They are sheep, ruled by fear."
    -- Sydney Losstarot, "Vagrant Story."

• JW72
    JW72

God who supposedly created this world sunchild, that's who I mean.

I suppose he's the god of the bible.

Let's continue......

Chris

• Francois
    Francois

I believe in God. But I also believe that the existence of God is impossible of proof; that proof that he does not exist is likewise impossible.

As is stated in the Tao Te Ching, the God whose existence you can prove is not God.

Yes. It's a matter of faith.

Francois

• JW72
    JW72

O.K, So how do u choose to have faith?

It is a choice to have faith, you're not born with faith are u??

Thanks

Chris

• patio34
    patio34

JW72,

If someone were to tell me a fantastic invisible person (or fairies in my backyard) existed, the burden of proof is on that person. It is not up to the one who won't believe it without proof to disprove it.

The term atheist simply means one without a belief in God. Many reasonable persons won't believe in something that fantastic without proof.

Thomas Paine said in his book 'Age of Reason' that if the disciple, Thomas, had to put his hand in the side of the Lord for proof, then all of us should have the same opportunity. Thomas would not believe without proof, so everyone should have the same opportunity.

However, if someone could come up with videos, etc. of fairies in the backyard, they could believe in them.

Java was correct, IMO, about not taking it too seriously and becoming all the negative things religion seems to bring out in people.

Pat

"All religions die of the same disease and that is being found out."

"What is there about humans who look into the vast void of space and address it 'Thou'?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit