Have Jehovah's Witnesses Become Boring?

by David_Jay 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll
    Another way to post the original question is, Why are the JWs Going Backwards?

I wish I had a thoughtful answer for you, but the truth of the matter seems quite obvious and simple: JWs are going backwards because cults do not want smart, educated people in their ranks. To compare Jehovah's Witnesses with Jews (especially Jews), Catholics and Protestants is an apple 'n oranges fallacy. JWs simply are not a religion in the same sense that these are. Religions are communities of people who hold a common faith. It's not just about dogma, but about tradition, liturgy... so many things that the JWs lack. The Watchtower is a publishing/real estate company with a religious front to avoid taxes. Perhaps I am showing my youth, but I cannot remember JWs being anything more than this. If they have dumbed down the doctrine, it is only to accommodate the intellectual level of their audience

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

My observation is that there is nothing to defend. When I first started, I got into debates with Pentecostals. Usually, they got nowhere, but I was at least able to hold my own against Pentecostals and born-again xians (notorious for being impossible to crack). Wasted time, but at least I was not in danger of caving in.

Now, there is nothing of substance to defend. The average cat lick that goes to church once a year probably knows enough to destroy such a weak faith. Changing "a generation" repeatedly doesn't help, either. And neither does having doctrines that could change without warning, and you have to keep up with it. The rule that, even if you can prove a doctrine wrong using their own damnation book, you have to abide by and teach the known bad doctrine until they themselves alter it and then you have to abide by and teach the new doctrine even if it is even worse. This doesn't help in defending your faith against born-agains and Pentecostals.

And by the way, you are supposed to quit your job, throw away all your money, and waste all your time going door to door putting out this rubbish that no one can defend and even the weakest cat lick can probably shred your arguments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit