Cooking With Cast Iron

by Simon 42 Replies latest social family

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

So one of the chefs here can answer this for me, although I prefer to stick with my non-stick skillets

I notice in the non stick if it gets to hot while frying an egg and I do use oil, I just hold it up away from the heat and it will loosen up, now with cast iron, no matter how hot the pan gets nothing will stick to even a well seasoned cast iron pan? I can seer a steak and it won't stick ? I've been so tempted since they seem to be coming back now, but I don't know

• Simon
    Simon

You can stick anything if you try hard enough, lol.

It's all about cooking at the right temperature and using the correct oil.

For an egg, you don't want it too hot. Let it warm up for 5 minutes at least on a lowish heat. A bit of butter and then don't touch it, just let it cook and it kind of 'releases' itself from the pan.

Steak is much hotter, med-high, and give it longer to warm up (warm it low then med first). Only add oil when you're about to start cooking (or some people just put oil on the steak along with seasoning).

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

As an alternative to cast iron pans which I have owned is a company in Denmark called Scanpan, These pans have a non-stick coating formed into the structure of the pans themselves and they don't have that nasty chemical coating that typically non sticks have, they are more expensive though.

Some draw backs to cast iron I found, they are heavy when full with food or without food and the handles are usually not contoured comfortably and they get hot during the cooking process. The cleaning and maintenance is another constant concern as its been noted by others. Yes a well seasoned cast iron does cook well and is relatively non stick mind you.

So if you'd like a possible alternative to cast iron, I highly recommend these pans, they can be bought off Amazon and elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4IdghzlVWc

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

no matter how hot the pan gets nothing will stick to even a well seasoned cast iron pan? I can seer a steak and it won't stick ?.....ShirleyW

It would depend on how hot your pan is..
    Too hot and you can screw anything up..LOL!!..

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Wipe out with paper towel

Ditto. I have used cast iron for the better part of six decades. I was instructed on how to season and use them by an old-timer who was in his eighties way back then. He said a handful of sand and a rag or a piece of crumpled paper. Of course fancy things like sea salt and paper towels had not really come along back then. A properly seasoned cast iron skillet needs nothing more than this. Leave the film from the grease and drippings from your cooking in it. Perhaps a very rare water based cleaning. Remember, water is irons enemy.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I love my cast iron, it's much more durable than anything else and cooks evenly with no sticking as long as you maintain the seasoning. They are not indestructable though, I dropped and broke one recently, but will last a good long time if cared for properly. Its best not to scour them, soak and gentlyvwash if dirty. If the coating gets uneven or funky you can always renew them by putting in your barbeque or firepit and burning off the old finish and starting over with the seasoning.

• eva luna
    eva luna

Xanthippie

About that first pancake...

You are so right.

Got to adjust about everything. Batter to thin? Skillet not hot enough..etc., etc..

We called it The First Child.

[I'm one smile]

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

You can get cast iron cheap at garage or estate sales, So long as it isn't pitted, rust and dirt will come off with no problem. Go online for more direction. Much cheaper than new.

• Listener
    Listener

I had a cast iron frypan for years. It ended up breaking in half, I don't think it had been oiled enough. I loved it. Unfortunately, it is very heavy and you have to wait until it has cooled down before storing I in the cupboard. I keep getting a non stick frypan for Xmas but will buy another one if I can find one with a wooden handle.

Our camping stores in Australia sell them

I have some gem scone iron pans and a stove top (non electric) iron waffle maker and jaffle maker. They cook beyond compare with their electric, modern day counterparts.

• Emma
    Emma

I have my grandmother's pans, one a ten inch the other rather small, maybe five or six inches. I'm so happy to have them!

Listener, was your pan made in China? I've heard they are inferior and it's a common event.

My daughter found some old cast-iron pans in her inlaws shed. They thought they were ruined and were going to throw them away. She took them home and they are beautiful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit