Cooking With Cast Iron

by Simon 42 Replies latest social family

• RichardHaley
    RichardHaley

You can still find old cast iron pans at yard sales if you keep your eyes open. Use cast iron when camping. Wipe out with paper towel and put back on the fire to dry and upkeep seasoning. Cast iron dutch oven is very versatile also.

• Simon
    Simon
    I have a Lodge set but haven't used it yet. Wanted to read up on how to season it, clean it, etc. Sounds like I'm going to like it.

Yes, they are great.

If you want the ultimate seasoning, apparently Flax oil is the best. But the vegetable shortening I used (what I had in the house) worked well for me. Coconut oil is also supposed to be good.

see: http://www.thekitchn.com/i-seasoned-my-cast-iron-pan-with-flaxseed-oil-and-heres-what-happened-224612

The seasoning is about polymerising the oils to form a hard protective layer that is bonded to the iron. It can't be scraped off easily and keeping it topped up protects the pan and keeps it's non-stick quality.

The 2nd half of this shows the seasoning process, you don't need to do the stripping part unless the pan is really rusty / old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pvf0m9jTeE&t=806s

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Simon, Love our cast iron pan. We have a Lodge outlet store nearby so I can only tell you my experience.

The store clerk was very knowledgeable. Told us to how to clean the pan and re-season the pan, etc.

!.) Told us to re-season the pan by cooking a pack of bacon.

2.) Clean the pan using a stiff kitchen dish / pan brush. Using only hot water. Wipe dry with a towel.

3.) Use a metal spatula to flip your food. Keep it flat against the bottom of the pan, so you do not create groves in the bottom of the seasoning layer.

4.) After cleaning...Use olive oil to lightly oil the pan after use.

5.) Told us to never cook with only tomatoes or tomato sauce for extended periods (simmer for hours). It can remove the pans seasoning coating and the sauce can taste metallic.

6.) If using on an electric stove top (glass top). Never go above med-high. Never slide the pan on a glass top range.

So, after following these tips. We have had great success with our pan over the past 5 years.

Look forward to hearing some more tips. You tube has some great videos too.

Mr. Toesup

• Simon
    Simon

Ooh, this looks nice and available now:

http://www.stargazercastiron.com/products/skt-105/

(may ask Santa for one next year)

Also, some useful tips here:

http://firstwefeast.com/features/cast-iron-skillet-rules/

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

My last move, I had to give up cooking on gas and had to switch to an electric stove....... I hate it.....Magwitch

LOL!!..Me too..

Nothing like gas..Electric is slow to react to temperature adjustment..

• Simon
    Simon
    Told us to re-season the pan by cooking a pack of bacon.

Yes, bacon fat is also good plus, you get bacon!

Told us to never cook with only tomatoes or tomato sauce for extended periods (simmer for hours). It can remove the pans seasoning coating and the sauce can taste metallic.

Yes, also red-wine will help strip your seasoning. If you're planning on re-doing it though, maybe a good time to combine stripping it with cooking a new dish.

If using on an electric stove top (glass top). Never go above med-high. Never slide the pan on a glass top range.

Warming up the pan is important to prevent warping (with any pan) so never go straight to high and even if you're going to cook on low, you need to let the pan warm up for 5 minutes first. Just put it on and start getting ingredients ready.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

Have an old Griswold 11 1/4 inch Iron Skillet and wouldn't part with it. And if you like camping, there's nothing like a good cast iron dutch oven for a variety of cooking styles, and if you have a bag to keep it in, you don't need to clean the soot off the outside.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

For some reason, I suddenly feel in the mood for an omlette..

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I'm surprised how easily everything came off,

even the high-heat cooked steaks.....Simon

Don`t waste those flavours..

Once the steak is cooked,take it out of the pan to rest..

There will be Yummy steak juices and spices left in the pan

Now you can make Duxelle!..

Throw some butter in the pan,then some diced onion and mushrooms..

Once those are cooked,throw in a splash of red wine..

Cook off the alcohol in the wine,or you`ll fart for a week..

Put the Duxelle on the Steak..

Image result for steak with mushroom duxelle
    It only takes a few minutes..Yum!!..

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I use a small cast iron pan for pancakes. I pour a tiny drops of olive oil in before the batter and just wipe it around the pan. The first pancake is never any good, always breaks up but I've come to accept it as the rest are fine. Of course my daughter can make the first one a beautiful thin lacy crepe and each one after that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit