I Thought I Was a Goner (Again)!

by Stephanus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Yesterday afternoon I took the boys for a two-mile or so walk along the beach to stay at my mother's house for the night as sort of a last hoorah for the holidays (school starts back Wednesday). After dinner we went for a further walk of several miles further up the beach and back as a recreational outing in the cool of the evening.

This morning after breakfast I started developing an asthma attack that wasn't responding at all to Ventolin and Serevent, the two drugs I had with me. The attack was getting worse and worse and I was getting more and more distressed, and was continually getting weaker. About to call the ambulance when my nephew was able to drive me home. All through the 5-10 minute trip home I struggled for breath and wondered if I'd collapse and die, the way my daughter had 6 years ago. At home, I took Atrovent and Pulmicort (a steroid) and started to slowly recover over the next half an hour or so. My nephew hung around to make sure I was recuperating, before he left.

Now, in the aftermath, I'm shaking like a paedophile victim before a JC, due to the side effects of all those drugs I took. I've got chest pains and am worried about whether or not my heart may be overloaded from the medication, however the pains are more likely from the action of consciously having to pump my lungs full and empty of air; I've got my son checking on me every so often to see if he needs to dial 000 (our 911) as a precaution. I feel both physically exhausted from the attack but hyper from the medication. This happened last week on Thursday too, so I think it's high time I got the doctor to have a look at prescribing me a better preventer than Serevent.

How was your day?

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

(((((Stephanus))))) I can relate! Jackson was back in the ER Saturday night with a bad asthma attack compounded with a virus. Back on Prednisone for 5 days and Albuterol in a Nebulizer every 4 hours. He's doing his maintenance meds right now (Zyrtec, Foradil, Singulair, Pulmicort and Rhinocort Aqua) before doing the Neb. Poor you and poor him!!! I hope you feel better soon.

Nina

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Jesus Christ Stephanus. That is so scary. Is there anything you think that could bring on such severe attacks, in such a short succesion, or is it just that the meds, are not doing the job any more?

Please get it checked out asap.

Regards:

david

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Jackson was back in the ER Saturday night with a bad asthma attack

Poor little blighter! How often does he get like this? (I remember Big Tex's post about him a while back)

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Jesus Christ Stephanus. That is so scary. Is there anything you think that could bring on such severe attacks, in such a short succesion, or is it just that the meds, are not doing the job any more?

This part of the year always seems to bring out a heightened asthma response in some/all of us every year. It was this time of year that my daughter had her fatal attack. But I myself have not had attacks this serious for 20 years; I think it's time to have a look at the med situation and see what's goin' down. (Here's my son again, checking on me! ) One of the big scare stories they tell asthmatics is about meds that suddenly stop being effective.

Please get it checked out asap.

Will do! I have no personal need to go through this crap again!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    All through the 5-10 minute trip home I struggled for breath and wondered if I'd collapse and die, the way my daughter had 6 years ago. At home

Stephanus, I didn't know you lost a daughter. How very sad.

Please, next time, do not take chances. Get to the hospital. I know a sister who died while her family was taking her to the hospital. If they had called an ambulence then perhaps she could have been saved. Please go to the doctor and see why your asthma is so bad right now. Could there be an allergen in the air? I know that here in the USA at the end of summer we have a weed called Ragweed that blooms everywhere nearly and it makes so many people very ill.

Take care and please don't take chances with your life.

Concerned Heather

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I have asthma too....I am fortunate that it is not severe, but in the cold weather it is sometimes unbearable....that is one of my greatest fears, to die of an asthma attack..I have only had to go to the emergency room once or twice...I can only imagine.

Luckly for me, this "cold" winter we are having in Texas is cakewalk...since I have spent the last 32 winters in New England....

I hope you are feeling better soon, Stephanus, and Nina, I hope Jackson will be too...I would much rather be sick than my child.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Stephanus, I'm sorry I didn't address the death of your daughter. I am so immeasurably sorry to hear that. What a gut-wrenching experience for you. An 18-year-old friend of mine died of an asthma problem too, and that memory haunts me every time Jackson has trouble breathing. Get yourself checked out, Stephanus, we don't want to lose you, okay?

Love & hugs,

Nina

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

(Stephanus) (Jackson) (Nina)

Stephanus, I too wasn't aware of the loss of your daughter. I'm sorry.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Geez, imagine that, so close to the edge. Glad you made it. What about adrenalin injections for those emergencies? Have you checked out herbal or homeopathic, to help out, without interrupting your regular meds?

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit