I Thought I Was a Goner (Again)!

by Stephanus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Nocturne
    Nocturne

Whoa that's scary. I can relate since I have asthma too. Earlier this year, i caught what I thought would be an innocent cold, and then started having the attacks and the meds stopped working. It wasn't as bad as yours, but I still ended up in the emergency room. Glad your ok.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Stephanus,

I am so sorry to hear, not only about your illness but the tragic death of your little daughter. Words are cheap I know, but my heart is with you and I hope that life treats yourself and your family with a little more tenderness in the days to come. I believe you are a Christian? If so I trust that your faith gives you the strength you need to cope.

Kindest regards - HS

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Hi all, Just thought I'd better look in in case anyone was worried I'd "bought it".

Take care and please don't take chances with your life.

Heather: Don't worry , I seem to be past the worst of it. I've been through it often enough to know the value of hitting it hard and fast; as long as you can get enough meds in quickly enough, you'll usually be fine.

I hope you are feeling better soon, Stephanus, and Nina, I hope Jackson will be too...I would much rather be sick than my child.

Apart from a sore chest (strain from the difficult breathing), I'm okay now. Yes, sick kids are hard to cope with - when you're an adult it's easier to deal with the threat of death, a "good innings" and all that, but it just doesn't seem fair when it happens to children.

An 18-year-old friend of mine died of an asthma problem too, and that memory haunts me every time Jackson has trouble breathing.

Never let anyone tell you that it's "only asthma"; it's a killer, to be taken seriously. But don't despair, either; as I said above my experience is that hitting it quickly and hard will usually save the day.

Stephanus, I too wasn't aware of the loss of your daughter. I'm sorry.

Hey SS, after another "anniversary" recently, I can tell you that while the pain doesn't fade all too fast, the grief starts to. And thanks for your kind words.

Geez, imagine that, so close to the edge.

I really thought my time had come; I was hoping I'd at least have a chance to gasp out a few last words, but I wasn't counting on it. I'd seen my daughter die: one second she was alive, then next dead. I didn't want the family going through all that again, but waht can you do, if that's the way it's going to happen?

What about adrenalin injections for those emergencies? Have you checked out herbal or homeopathic, to help out, without interrupting your regular meds?

Adrenalin's what you get when the paramedics arrive; I had one more line of defence before having to call the ambulance, but I didn't end up having to use it, thankfully. As for the alternative treatment, I tried going to a naturopath back in the 80s; all she did was prescribe some really expensive vitamin supplements that she sold me. They didn't so much for the asthma, but Boy, did they turn my urine a brilliant shade of orangey-yellow! I haven't felt the need since then to try; the meds have been working, it's just that you occasionally get an attack out of the blue that you weren't expecting.

Whoa that's scary. I can relate since I have asthma too. Earlier this year, i caught what I thought would be an innocent cold, and then started having the attacks and the meds stopped working. It wasn't as bad as yours, but I still ended up in the emergency room. Glad your ok.

I'm glad YOU're okay, too! Never take asthma for granted; as I said, it's been years since I've had attacks like this, but that didn't stop it from coming back.

I am so sorry to hear, not only about your illness but the tragic death of your little daughter. Words are cheap I know, but my heart is with you and I hope that life treats yourself and your family with a little more tenderness in the days to come.

Thanks man!

I believe you are a Christian? If so I trust that your faith gives you the strength you need to cope.
    As said above, I thought it was all over and that I wasn't even going to be able to have my last few "making peace/going home/death bed confession" moments. That was among the more annoying thoughts that I had; I hate asthma for a lot of justifiable reasons!
  • Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

I'm glad you are ok, fortunately I don't have asthma but I did manage to cut through a live power cable last night whilst replacing my cooker. I am so glad that I spent the extra £15 to get a decent pair of pliers. Thankyou to the guys who make Stanley tools!

(edited to correct my apalling spelling)

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    I'm glad you are ok, fortunately I don't have asthma but I did manage to cut through a live power cable last night whilst replacing my cooker.

Man! How did you feel when you realised just how close you had come to dying?? And, I'm glad that you didn't "buy it" either!

I am so glad that I spent the extra £15 to get a decent pair of pliers. Thankyou to the guys who make Stanley tools!

I often think about that old saying about a bad workman blaming his tools. I've noticed that good workmen almost always use good quality tools... It's always worth paying the most you can afford when buying tools and equipment - as you yourself noticed, it can sometimes be the difference between life and death!

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper
    Man! How did you feel when you realised just how close you had come to dying?? And, I'm glad that you didn't "buy it" either!

I shit myself, quite literally, and then sat there shaking for about an hour looking at the weld point on my pliers.

And, I'm glad that you didn't "buy it" either!

Thankyou, I'm quite pleased to be honest

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Thank goodness your not a goner. I too suffer from asthma, dreadful thing. I have had a severe asthmatic attack in the recovery room after surgery. Every one paniced while they scurried around for the doctor. After he arrived an hooked my up to the nebulizer and medication I started to come out of the attack, and it sure is scary, especially right after an operation.

So I am glad your okay and also I know this is a little belated by a day so to you and yours a,

A Very

Happy Australian Day, January 26th

Love Orangefatcat.

Orange Fat Cat 15 Circle Of Hearts Circle Of Hearts

• Sassy
    Sassy

((((((((((((((((Stephanus)))))))))))))))))))))) I agree with the others.. please take care of yourself.. get yourself checked out! I'm also sorry to hear about your daughter.. ((((((((((((((((Stephanus))))))))))))))))))))))

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

SLH,

Thankyou to the guys who make Stanley tools!

I work in the town, New Britain, Connecticut, USA, (formerly the Hardware Capitol of the World) where the World Headquarters is, and altho alot of their manufacturing has gone south, they still do a little here. I'll let them know you're grateful!

Terri

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Stephanus, I can definately relate. All I do is overdose on Ventolin and I can usually calm down. I've learned that I cannot take baths because they trigger an attack. It's sad because I used to enjoy nice warm baths.

I've been having a lot of problems with athsma as of late. A few days after I moved in, I had to call the ambulance. It's terrible when it takes such a long time to calm down after an attack. Your chest hurts, you're still panicking, etc. Another problem I have is when I'm sick, my athsma is twice as bad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit