Haysbridge, Twickenham, Crystal palace, Dorking, Camber Sands....

by ScoobySnax 34 Replies latest jw friends

• nelly136
    nelly136

the Lido at margate was one of my favourites as a kid, though the seats were itchy cinema type and you could end up with your feet round your ears if they decided to fold shut if you wedged your bum back too far, spent many an hour gazing at the ceiling tiles there, they looked like they were convex one look and concave the next.

• four candles
    four candles

spent many an hour gazing at the ceiling tiles there, they looked like they were convex one look and concave the next.

Now,that was just the drugs kicking in!!

I did all the northern conventions and assemblies,Maine road,Hillsboro' and Northenden.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Hey Sweetpea,

I might have been at that convention with the streaker! He ran right up to the platform and made a cross sign and a load of brothers ran on to the field to apprehend him.

One brother behind me was saying to his kids, "don't look, don't look"

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

oh yes , baptized at Haysbridge in 88, nice hall and if you sat in the upper tier you could check out all the girls in the whole hall, in the middle of nowhere though so had to take sandwiches after the stupid dumbing down of the on site food service with fully stocked kitchens with the top quality catering equipment,

Dorking was a lovely site for a C/A surrounded by a lovely park close to the high st, it always made me laugh watching all the negro bro/sis's running over to the KFC which was only 100 yards away at lunch break,and always remember the donut/ice cream kiosk , my sister and I loved Dorking, before Dorking was bought we had C/A's at Wimbledon Town Hall which was nice as well,

• ninja
    ninja

wow...wobble....to go further back than that I would need a tardis....he he

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

was always slightly jealous of never being able to go to Camber because some used to combine it as a summer holiday as well,(we never had many holidays as kids) and reports was always good fun had by all

• Diva
    Diva

Twickenham - from the age of 3. I remember being really scared crossing the big bridge from the car oark to the stadium and holding my dads hand tight in case I got lost in the sea of people. I do also remember the streaker and some apostate bloke trying to grab the mike (could be the same incident).

I do have found memories of Twickenham but they are mainly about getting dressed up, walking around the concourse during the sessions with my girlfriends, checking out the talent and going to the Slug and Lettuce pub on the Sunday after the assembly finished.

I also remember Twickenham either being freezing cold or really hot - never in between.

CA's were at Bowes Road - that's where I unwittingly dedicated my life to the organisation.

I've also been to Hayes Bridge & Bristol assembly halls when visiting friends.

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

I used to be in the Thornton Heath (Surrey) cong. and went to Crystal Palace, even helped clean the stadium !

Also went to Twickenham and Dorking a number of time (all during the seventies)

The main thing that I remember was just how difficult it was to keep awake, esp in the afternoons.

Twinkletoes

• still wondering
    still wondering

While we’re reminiscing who remembers the 2 conventions held at the REAL Crystal Palace (the football ground that is) one in the 70’s and one in the 60’s?

Then there were the circuit assemblies at the Dorking Assembly Halls opposite the later converted cinema assembly hall.

And also at Wimbledon Baths and Kingston Coronation Baths in the 60’s and later Wimbledon Town Hall.

My first assembly was Mitcham Football Ground in I think 1955 at which I spent 1 week pre assembly cleaning the stands and gullies.

My favourites were the days spent at Twickers when all areas outside the stands were covered in cinders. At the end of the day everyone’s feet were black. Pre assembly work used to start about 8 to 12 weeks before the Assembly and go on for up to 2 weeks after. Perhaps I remember it fondly because.... no, there is no reason to remember it fondly. It was a complete and utter waste of time

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Still Wondering,you go back some years! Never knew assemblies were held in Mitcham, that would have been Sandy-Lane(long since demolished), or that C/A's were held at Wimbledon/Kingston swimming pools, Wembley stadium held an International Assembly in 1969 , I was 3 years old at the time and was there my sister was 1!,My mum got baptized at Selhurst Park , Crystal Palace as well.Used to like the C/A's at Wimbledon Town Hall , that was a grand fine hall (now a shopping mall, although the stone facade still remains)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit