Haysbridge, Twickenham, Crystal palace, Dorking, Camber Sands....

by ScoobySnax 34 Replies latest jw friends

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Now I got your attention......(I'm gambling on those who remember these) When were you there? What years? and what do you remember........ They all seem like such a big part of my history.

• yxl1
    yxl1

You got my attention! I attended all of these venues during the 80’s/90’s. Twickenham and Dorking during the early 80’s, Camber during the mid 80’s and Haysbridge and Crystal Palace just before I left.

Dorking brings back memories of fresh donuts. They used to have sisters make them during the lunch breaks. Also, there was a nice park behind the venue where we used to play hide and seek. Twickenham…ugh! I do recall seeing people standing outside with banners explaining how evil the WTS are. We were told not to make eye contact.

Camber was the only family holiday we had. I was baptised there so the less said about that the better.

Crystal Palace wasn’t as large at Twickenham (and a lot closer to home) so I didn’t mind it too much. Funny how the smell of burnt cheap coffee, and over ripe fruit is a common smell at large outdoor assemblies. By the time we were at Hayes Bridge, I could no longer hide my contempt for the witnesses, so I spent most of the time reading novels on the lawn out front.

Talk about wasted youth…sheesh

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

I can remember going to twickenham once, can't remember when though

• avengers
    avengers
    ......(I'm gambling on those who remember these)

I always thought that gambling was strictly forbidden by the Great GB.
    Unless ofcourse they changed the rules again.

Guess I'm too old to be able to keep up with all the flip-flops.

Andy of the super-disappointed in the "slave" class.

• anglise
    anglise

Hi Scooby Snax

Started our JW life at Camber and we both got baptised there. At least the evenings where fun. That was all lost with Haysbridge. Self and other half worked on Hayesbridge during its refurb/construction and then did maintenance until we left the org (about 3 years ago), although Chris (does anybody remember him) did phone a few months ago for help with a problem.

Good atmosphere from what I can remember but what a waste of a lovely kitchen.

Did Twickers a couple of times - too big.

Did CP when we where assigned and enjoyed that more.

Our circuit was then assigned to Brighton - shopping during the lunch break if you where rebellious, alas I wasnt then.

Anglise

• Englishman
    Englishman

Good grief, Scooby.

I was so convinced that you were an American masquerading as a Brit too.

I used to go to Twickenham frequently in my youth, it was the only chance we got of meeting some different gals!

I was the guy who wandered around all the time.

Englishman.

• nelly136
    nelly136

the 'Mermaid Inn' was the highlight of camber, and Albert Broad

hiding behind the hedges by the gate to catch late returners.

cooking breakfast for 20 ish on two hobs and a grill was quite a challenge.

(early 80's)

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Scooby,

I remember Dorking very well. I worked in the audit department in the late 70's and delivered a few talks there. It was actually a very nice venue and surrounded by some interesting antique shops to which I would sneak off during the sessions while the miserable plebs squirmed in their seats...lol

Cambersands was a greasy disgusting shambles. Even the seagulls looked depressed. The place was paradise for cholera and reminded me of the very worse of the 'Carry On' films, all of which were toilet paper for the eyes.

After many years of being tortured by Twickenham as a young man I discovered a way of enduring the fiasco with the aid of a quiet corner under the stairs and a large hip flask filled with Cognac. Eventually as I grew in stature in the WTS I worked in Security ( checking to see if I could catch myself drinking liquor instead of listening to the drone flies that the WTS called 'public speakers' ) and had the pleasure of working with Hank Marvin who approached his job with a humor similar to my own. We both mercilessly taunted those who took their work seriously, almost driving a small Brother to large tears. As Mr. Mavin had a more public profile to myself he was never counselled for his relaxed ways, though I caught flack from Gooch on more than one occasion and who once, pointing with his head, described me as 'That lout over there'....lol

Best regards - HS

• Englishman
    Englishman

HS,

I wonder if this last post of yours will help Celtic to identify your gender correctly?

BTW, I've cut myself off from all those folk who think you are Roy Orbison in hiding.

Its over.

Englishman.

• nelly136
    nelly136

hilary if u thought camber sands sucked then the 'lido' at margate woulda been right up your street ....not

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit