What do you believe in?

by Joysome 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Singing Man
    Singing Man

I feel there is a powerful force one that directs us softly or forcefuly as the need may be. We just have to open our selfs up to it and be like little children as Christ said. We will know in the right time and place what will come for our lasting good we all will.

• Purple
    Purple

I know more what I no longer believe and maybe that might help you some as well.

I know I dont believe in the WT God anymore. I seriously doubt that one exists at all when you look around at the world and dont see much evidence at all of a loving god and so on.

I do also know that the more I think I know the less I really do know.

I have read here that some do go to other religions hoping that they will find the truth. I wonder if there really is a universal truth at all. If we are created individuals how can one belief fit everyone?? Obviously by all the different religions and ways of worshipping this something, whatever you want to name it, there is no one correct way.

Perception seems to rule how you view what you view and why you view it. Experience colours it somewhat. No one really knows until they die what the ultimate answer is. Trouble with death is that no one lives to tell the tale so we dont really know the question we should really be asking because no one knows our ultimate final fate or destination if there is really even one.

See why I reckon that its better to focus on what you know you dont believe in and go from there?

• donkey
    donkey

I believe it is important for me to attain freedom from dependency wherever possible.

Dependency is the ultimate weakness and lack of dignity. When we have no choices we are no longer living then we are just existing and at that stage we are no different than any other animal on the planet.

Free the Donkey's!!!!!

• Sassy
    Sassy

Like many, I don't know what to believe either. I quit being a JW because I just couldn't live the life any more but I did think when I quit it was still 'the truth' and thought I would die because of my choice. However, I have since had my eyes opened and realize that this is not the "true path" to serve God. So everything I was taught to believe, all the answers I thought I understood, now are erased. I no longer have the answers to the quiz of life. It is as if the rug has been pulled out from everything I ever believed in..

I haven't found my answers yet.. but I do still believe in God. I do still believe the Bible is his word. Beyond that, I am still searching. I am just taking things one day at a time as I am finding the strength to be decentized/brainwashed/etc

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Sassy sez:

Like many, I don't know what to believe either. I quit being a JW because I just couldn't live the life any more but I did think when I quit it was still 'the truth' and thought I would die because of my choice. So everything I was taught to believe, all the answers I thought I understood, now are erased. . It is as if the rug has been pulled out from everything I ever believed in..

I haven't found my answers yet.. but I do still believe in God. I do still believe the Bible is his word. Beyond that, I am still searching. I am just taking things one day at a time as I am finding the strength to be decentized/brainwashed/etc

Hi Joy and Welcome, too. I've only been here about a month after 3 years of inactivity, (no JW meetings) I fell away. There were lots of reasons. I am glad I found these guys & gals. Everyone seems to believe a little well, sometimes a LOT differently! For about the first time tho'...that's OK with me...before ...like most of the others here, I was very judgmental -- people were SUPPOSED to conform...to 'stay and think INSIDE the box'. There is a new found freedom to 'live and let live'. It seemed like I used to have this knot in my stomach whenever I was judging someone's actions -- on the JW scale, of course. It's a nice feeling to feel that knot relax, when it comes up... and I say to my self...to each their own. Whew...what DO I believe...damn? Cussing is Ok, 1st off, I guess. lol Well, I STILL believe in: Love, the Bible, (although now I have more questions than answers) creation, ONE God, the story about Jesus, Eccl. 9: 5-10...no hell-fire or eternal damnation, don't think I'll ever see heaven. I WANT to believe: That God's purpose of 'paradise' will come about -- somehow...but, not the WTS theory. The basic goodness of mankind, I DON"T believe: That ANY type of SHUNNING done on a organizational level shows the type of love Jesus or Jehovah really had in mind for us to emulate or practice. There are so many nit-picking little rules, so many normal words that can't be used, so much crap that is based on the flimsiest scriptural references! SHUNNING --> to me that is the worst of all >>> it makes a mockery of the WT's own "Family' book, the family is supposed to be the most important basic unit of mankind >>> it's our 'glue' and yet as almost everyone on this board can attest to: At least 10's of thousands of family member's that we know personally, have been torn apart. In fact with the 'Catch 22' nature of it all -- I wonder how many really faithful Witnesses there really are...or how many are so fearful of losing their families...that they...just stay...? I wish a poll could somehow be taken among JW's, yeah...right > against their religion!! < Jst2Lws > that' s one of the members alias here. It took my thick head a while to figure out what that 'stood' for, then it came to me, Just Two Laws. Simple, clear, uncluttering. Suddenly, as if I had not seen that scripture that qouted Jesus in the last 40 years, it became very clear -- all the nit-picking, all the crap, all the flimsy rules that I've been afraid of for so long -- did not matter anymore (although they still eat at my soul because of family issues) ! The WatchTower Society would crumble...if they tried to follow those two simple commands Jesus gave us -- to Love our God with all our heart and Love your neighbor as you love yourself...that's all. Joy: Thanks for this good question...made me think...! Jst2laws -- thanks for the reminder... Sincerely, Lee

• pc
    pc

Greeting's Joysome.

This is just my read on religion. I am certainly not looking down on anyone or expecting anyone to agree with me. What I have come away with is the feeling I had my whole life growing up a JW. I think the bible gives some great advice. It's mankind that screws it all up. The whole thread that runs through the bible is LOVE. I think if everyone treated each other the way they wanted to be treated we would all be much happier. In regards to life I try to experience all that God has given us. The earth is a remarkable place and there are remarkable people. I take advantage of both. In regards to death I believe there is a heaven I'm not sure what or where that is. Jesus came as a gift for all of us and who am I to even begin to suggest who's included and who's not.

Anyway, just my thoughts not that anyone cares!!!

• patio34
    patio34

Hi and welcome to the board--really good question and fun to answer.

I stopped being a JW about 3 years ago and struggled to find answers for a couple of years. But this is sort of what I've settled on--not that they're permanently so.

I believe there is no supernatural. Period.

I believe that people must work very hard to stop destroying the planet in order to ensure the survival of humans.

I believe that we're all struggling and should help each other.

I believe that we all should do everything possible to preserve life for future generations (e.g., be less wasteful, conserve, participate in electing our leaders, be involved with current issues, etc.)

That's just a few. Thanks for asking and all the best in your search.

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit