What happened to JWD last night?

by Elsewhere 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

that's all very well but if there's a glitch which takes up alot of the processor usage you will end up having reboots of the server due to high traffic counts. We have a product that is having similar issues on a HP-UX platform. Heartbeat monitors are all well and good but cause more grief than they solve

Steve, of the 'pissed off support engineer' class

• sens
    sens
    install Debian Linux.

*hides smart ars smurk*

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    that's all very well but if there's a glitch which takes up alot of the processor usage you will end up having reboots of the server due to high traffic counts.

I think it would work. You wouldn't reboot/restart services the first time it failed. I'd do it this way... set a counter to zero. Every time the test is run, the counter would be incremented if the server failed to respond. The counter would reset to zero if the server responded correctly. If the counter exceeded a certain value, that would mean the server has failed to respond for a while. Then services could be restarted.

This may be a problem if the CPU is maxed out under normal circumstances and the server fails to respond at this time. In those normal cases you wouldn't want to do anything if the problem is going to remedy itself. I'd say that isn't usually a problem with this site because it always seems to respond pretty quickly unless the site is completely down.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Sens: I was hoping you'd see that... lol

• Simon
    Simon

I do have a process that monitors the web and will report if it's down (which is great when I'm asleep eh?!). It can be set to automatically reboot if required or restart the process - I'll have a look at configuring this.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I'll have a look at configuring this.

OpenService, ControlService, etc., will do what you need. Or you can just launch "net stop" and "net start"...

• Simon
    Simon

I prefer to use ADSI to recycle the app pool for the particular web

net stop / start would do it though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit