Are YOU: rh negative ?

by RAYZORBLADE 55 Replies latest watchtower medical

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I have always found the topic of blood/hematology, fascinating, and even moreso, the discussions regarding: rh compatibility.

Are you rh negative? If so, do you know your alpha designation: O, A, B, or AB ?

Even if someone is not interested, nor willing to take a blood transfusion, if you are a woman, and you are rh negative, and your husband/partner is RH Positive, you can bet your bottom dollar, it'll matter in the near future. Trust me on that one.

It's always good to know. Flying High Now, posted a really good remark about the dangers of receiving rh incapatible blood. ie: same alpha, but if RH Positive is infused to an rh negative: problems arise. You can survive it, but it sends your immune response into overload.

Myself: a negative (tattooed on my upper right arm).

Who else?

• shamus
    shamus

Try figuring out which blood types go together! Certain ones can go with everything, and one can only go with another... augh, I forget it already!

Anyhoo, blood is not considered a fluid to doctors. It is part of the circulatory system. So, in principle, it is no different than getting an organ transplant.

Scully, help me out here. What is blood considered? An organ or a fluid?

• Elsewhere
  • concerned mama
    concerned mama

This site may be helpful. Blood is carefully typed and crossmatched before being given, so it more of an organ than a fluid.

• Jade
    Jade

I am RH negative and it did become an issue when I was in the borg and pregnant. I had to have a RhoGam shot which contained blood by products or risk loosing the fetus. The "loving" elders strongly recommended that I not take the shot but that in the end it was up to me. I indeed took the shot and everything worked out fine but I was counciled about it....go figure.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Thanks Concerned Mama.

Shamus: Type O is considered the universal donor.

Type o negative, is the type of blood that can be administered to anyone, in an acute emergency. Sad thing for o negative folks: they can ONLY be transfused with this type only.

The universal recipient: AB (AB Positive) (ab negative, can receive all rh negative blood types).

For me, the only two I can receive: a negative and o negative.

If I were to be tranfused with A Positive, I would survive it, but my immune system would be in disarray. As the RH factor, which is not on my alleles, would trigger my immune system to attack the RH protein. Not a pretty site, apparently.

Concerned Mama, that was most useful, thank you again, for posting that.

An interesting topic, indeed.

**PS: edited to add, Jade, I'm glad you brought up the topic of Rhogam. Thanks!

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am O negative, which means that I am compatible with everybody else. On the downside, almost nobody is compatible with ME. Which pretty well sums up my relationship experience.

Never been a problem with my babies. I married a man whose blood was also RH negative.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

I'm A-, my husband is A+.

While pregnant with my first child, I had the rho-gam injection so that any future preganancies wouldn't be at risk due to the rh difference. No big deal.

The WT stance on blood is so darn silly it's difficult to discuss. It's impossible to logically refute irrational policy.

• meat pie
    meat pie

Hello Rayzorblade, its funny you should ask this question...I have 'always' known I was RH negative, my mother told me how, as a second child I was expected to be a 'blue baby', but I was ok,etc. I am B Rh negative, and carried a card etc. After having a baby and several miscarriages I had the D antigen injection each time and an updated card.Also after that but before becoming a JW, I had a large blood transfusion, so the info HAD to be right.It was reconfirmed that I was Rh neg.

TWO babies later, at the hospital I was told I was RH Positive, great consternation, that cannot be correct, another blood test, yes you ARE rh Positive. I said, did they mean I should be treated as Positive on account of the D antigen, No they said I WAS RH Positive! I tore up the new card they gave me as I thought in case of emergency it would be better to be tested again than automatically given what could be the wrong type!

Of course this account went down very well on blood card night at the Hall! (you SEEEEE, doctors don't know everything lalala)

That last blood test was over 14 years ago, maybe I should try again, what do you think of that!

Shirley, who hope she never needs another blood transfusion.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Havent got a clue!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit