Why does God allow people to develop 'forbidden' special powers?

by SM62 197 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Flash
    Flash

Hi SM62,

Your question and Thread are on my favorite subject and one that has caused me a lot of heat at the Hall. I do agree that we as humans have special powers given us by God. I don't agree that He punishes us for using them. As I see it, there is a clear division between occult power and our metaphysical ability. One is natural the other Satanic. One is agreeable to God one is not. I believe magic of all kinds, tarot, astrology and other forms of fortune telling and contacting the dead derive all their power from Satan and his Demonic followers. The term metaphysics means 'higher or after physics.' It is beyond what can be currantly measured or understood. I believe it is part of our created being. Telepathy, auroras and aurora reading, astral projection ( my personal favorite) and telekinesis are all part of our natural abilities, though underdeveloped in most of us. Our intuition is metaphysical. I believe our ability to 'know' when someone is looking at us is low level telepathy. I also think we're all greatly hindered because of our imperfection. I think too, that Jesus being a perfect man did many things we attribute to Holy Spirit that are natural for a perfect human to do.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Flash

I believe magic of all kinds, tarot, astrology and other forms of fortune telling and contacting the dead derive all their power from Satan and his Demonic followers

Interesting. Could you answer the following

1. What do you think "magic" is?

Since you seem to think aura reading etc. is OK, but the things mentioned above are not, I'm wondering how you reached your conclusions.

Telepathy, auroras and aurora reading, astral projection ( my personal favorite) and telekinesis are all part of our natural abilities,

So imagine I decide to use some sort of "tool" to help me with my natural abilities, would you object?

Sirona

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'm just home, after the road trip, and what I read here dismays me.

Has anyone here done even a rudimentary psychometric profile, maybe even Myer-Briggs?

There seems to be a lack of understanding amongst the "skeptics" that the "believers" view the world in a completely different way (and maybe vica-versa, too). It's just the way it is - not good, not bad, or indifferent.

Rem:
    I'd guess you're an ISTP, or maybe an ISTJ, from your posts.
    I'm near opposite that, as an INFJ.
    What does that tell us? Only that we look at the world, and interpret it differently.
    The world needs all these categories of people to help it spin (a scientifically incorrect statement, I confess, but give us a break here, huh?).

Nathan:

Rem, it looks like we've won!

That is perhaps the saddest comment of the thread.
    Shame on you (but I suspect you feel none).
    You're in your late 40's, right? Did you never get past that competitive spirit?
    Ah well, whatever turns you on, as long as your not hurting anyone (which you are, but appear too oblivious to notice...) - Good day to you

Abaddon:
    My comment about science was not to denigrate science, but simply to declare that there is more to life that simply that. Some people need to get out of the lab coats and get down to an art gallery, or something.
    Then again, maybe certain personality types don't appreciate art, as it has little function in their lives. I feel that to be a shame, but I also acknowledge that it doesn't mean that they don't make a worthwhile contribution to society (quite the reverse, in fact).

Dolph:Thanks for sharing. I was pleased to see that Rem didn't denigrate you for drawing your own conclusions about the source of your experiences. It's highly unlikely that you are insane, nor that the greater majority of "new-agers" are, either. I can understand how popular opinion (AKA fear of man) may cause you to be concerned if you were to be lumped into that group, but in the words of the sage: "b*gger popular opinion!"

(Edited to add hyperlinks)

Test similar to Myer Briggs, but free

(Edited to add more hyperlinks)

New thread on testing:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/65713/1.ashx(Edited to add even more hyperlinks)

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Also, according to the Bible, God allowed humans to use special powers in the past, such as phrophesying, healing the sick, raising the dead, speaking lots of languages. If it was ok for them to do it back then, why can't we look into the paranormal now, or am I being really dense?

It does seem confusing, doesn't it? I have a theory, I hope it helps:

To the Christian mystic, (I am supposing that you have CM leanings since you are using the Bible for reference) by eating of the "fruits of the spirit" you will attain the "gifts of the spirit". Sort of a metaphysical you are what you eat. The Bible is very specific about what those fruits (virtues) are. One translation says that they are:

Love

Joy

Peace

Patience/(NWT: Long-suffering)

Kindness

Mildness

Goodness

Faith

Self Control

These virtues are not always easy to achieve. But if sought, they will bring about a certain Christ-like consciousness. With this Christ like consciousness come certain possibilities....abilities.....gifts.

Because of the devolpment of a more gentle nature and an ability to use the gifts wisely; prophecy, healing, etc are appropriate.

To use other/"lower" mediums to develop the same abilities is considered to be a no-no to most CM. Why? Because it is a short cut taken and the lessons that must be learned in order to use these "powers" wisely are sometimes missed.

I hope this helps explain some things.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Robdar:

...other/"lower" mediums...

??

• Robdar
    Robdar

Edited to say let's chat soon, LT.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Robdar:
    You gave me a two minute window of opportunity to see what you'd written, and I missed it - LOL.
    Catch ya soon

• sens
    sens
    i thought this might be of interest to some people:

yer and i see dead people

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Nathan:Rem, it looks like we've won!

LittleToe:That is perhaps the saddest comment of the thread.
    Shame on you (but I suspect you feel none).
    You're in your late 40's, right? Did you never get past that competitive spirit?
    Ah well, whatever turns you on, as long as your not hurting anyone (which you are, but appear too oblivious to notice...) - Good day to you

Awwww, gee LittleToe...

Do you resort to personal smears because you're just that kind of person or is it because in the marketplace of ideas you are experiencing an inventory shortage?

You are correct about one thing - I have no shame about failing to live up to expectations you have placed upon me

Judge carefully, priest, and lay off the beer for a bit until your head clears, OK?

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Judge carefully, priest, and lay off the beer for a bit until your head clears, OK?

My, Nathan, how righteous you are in your dogmatic beliefs in science. How sharp your Occum's Razor. Oooh, the sting of your scapel.....

It is beyond me how sceptics can describe their closed mindedness as a scientific approach. How quickly they are to assume that they are uniquely superior in understanding science than the person who may be witnessing odd occurances. Why do they think that the believer is not doing his best to understand scientifically what is going on also?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit