Modern replacement for make sure of all things book

by Jehovahisgod 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jehovahisgod
    Jehovahisgod

Question please for one of Jehovah's Witnesses I'm doing some prison ministry. You used to have the make sure of all things hold fast to what is fine book what is the modern equivalent of this book I need a book which lists the Bible topics and where to actually find them in the Bible can somebody give me a pointer?

• myelaine
    myelaine

There is a topical study guide (of sorts) in the back of the older black NWT, if that helps.

• careful
    careful

Given the current climate in the WTS of printing in the main merely tracts, tiny magazines that are only a shadow of what they used to be, no bound books outside of the Bible itself and the one catechismal book used for conversion, their emphasis on electronic media, and their extreme de-emphasis on any kind of real Bible study, the chance of them printing anything like the old Make Sure of All Things book (1965) or its replacement, Reasoning from the Scriptures (1985), is zero.

Perhaps you could download a copy of the latter from the official JW website onto your smartphone. That would be closest thing. Don't count on any more hardback books, or even paperback ones from the WTS any more.

• steve2
    steve2

What s the basis of your “prison ministry”? I hope it’s not to spread JW propaganda.

Be careful if you are ministering to inmates who have child sexual abuse convictions if you are feeding them JW teachings.

You have a moral and ethical duty to warn any JW congregations these inmates will go to after their release - given JW organization’s policies on not warning congregations that convicted pedophiles are in their midst.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I`m interested in your involvement in prison ministry as I was interested with a WT or Awake article that gave some experiences some 25-30 years ago or more .

Some years later I experienced first hand how a JW`s Elder handled prison visits and it was nothing like what the society`s magazines said and was in full contrast to how other "Clergy" did their prison work.

The Clergy of Christendom were known by the prison officials and could come and go as they pleased anytime during the day to minister who ever they wanted.

In contrast with Christendom the Elder never identified himself as a JW who was ministering to an inmate {a couple of JW`s were incarcerated at the time } and he only went in as a visitor during official visiting times .

So in effect the prison system was not going to be reminded that J.W.`s were incarcerated and they were not aware that an Elder of the JW faith was making prison visits.

Thinking back on that it was so no reproach would be brought on Jehovah`s name.

However the Society`s magazine gave an entirely different and false impression.

And that was just another reason I started to doubt seriously what the organization said and what they actually did in practice.

And that occurred about 30 years ago.

I hope your not being so dishonest also jehovahisgod I`m glad to see you used the small g in god.Gen.3:22

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Edit to add : Welcome to the forum

Jehovahisgod
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard

jehivahisgod, you might find jwfacts.com useful, and for more information on their dreadful child abuse cover ups silentlambs.org, within the last couple of years the Australian Royal Commission conducted an inquiry into child abuse and the reasons why perpetrators where not reported to the police , there are various links, please remember to share this information with the person you are studying with, they may find it very interesting, jwfacts.com also nicely covers the United Nations membership, the so called wild beast of revelation which is due to be destroyed in the coming great tribulation.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I'm intrigued about your background, and why you are asking on this forum.

Prison ministry has really backfired on Jehovah's Witnesses. Conversion has been used to convince parole officers that a person has changed, for an early release, after which a criminal re-offends. I have heard from reliable sources that a number of pedophiles in California joined Jehovah's Witness congregations after release, due to the safety the closed nature of the religion offered them to keep reoffending.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

excuse the typo its silentlambs.org

• Giordano
    Giordano

I have always believed in a second chance for people but not so much when a person commits an act that cause's pain, terror or murder knowingly and by choice.

The problem with JW pedophiles is the systems used by the WatchTower Bible and Tract Society which is the legal entity of the Jehovah's Witness Congregation.

Here are some of the problems:

'The two witness rule'......... it takes two witnesses to a crime to bring this issue to the Elders serious attention. That's a big loophole that leaves the congregation vulnerable to repeated sexual assault, if there is no second witness.

Unfortunately The Elders themselves are not trained in child or adult sexual abuse issues.

Another problem is forcing the child to face their abuser and having that person deny their crime.

If you notice I use the word 'crime' the problem is that religions often label sexual abuse as a 'sin' and treat it accordingly.

Protecting Jehovah's name really means protecting the aforementioned WatchTower Society from legal obligations and expensive court judgments.

The JW community is inclined to be very trusting of people who present themselves as JW's which means families can let down their guard and children can be abused by the very people they are told to trust.

Many a pedophile leave their congregation if they come under scrutiny, and show up at another congregation some distance away.

Since 'reporting' these crimes to the authorities was discouraged for decades.....the local community nor the authorities had knowledge of the crimes committed. This is a serious issue in part because the JW's still engage in the Door to Door ministry. Which allows a JW pedophile to approach unsuspecting families who might be interested in having a weekly Bible study.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit