My Book of Bible Stories

by brianhenke 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sassy
    Sassy

Nothing in that book seems as scary to me as the one from the Orange Paradise Lost book.......I swear it traumatized me to no end... I was glad we weren't using it when my children were growing up..

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The Old Testament unfortunately is a quite violent book. But they certainly could've used more discretion, particularly in the choices of how to depict the scenes. Telling the story of Abraham and Isaac is not the same as showing it in every detail. The one picture that scared me was of Jonah and the fish.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

The picture that really freaked me out was the closeup of Jesus on the stake. The look of pain on his face really got to me. Also, seeing that huge spike nailed through his hands and the blood dripping from it.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Without a doubt, that book had very poor taste when designed for young kids.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I remember as a little kid the Solomon and the baby story, as well as Jezebel being thrown to her death and eaten by dogs, were my favorite stories. Not because I was morbid, but because the colors were so bright and pretty in those illustrations.

Chevy, of the 'easily distracted by bright and shiny objects' class

• Odrade
    Odrade

HAHA. I liked the bright colored pics too. But I was already 8 when the MBBS came out. Also, the first edition was 3 color, not 4, so the pics were much duller. Then they changed to 4 color and it was so much more graphic.

The Jesus on the stake pic is the first one my friend sliced out of the book. In the original, Jesus just looks cracked, but the 4 color edition is pretty horrific to a 4 year-old. Her son had plenty of nightmares over that one, even after she removed it from his book. Yeah, actually I was looking through a couple of non-denominational bible stories books. Man what a difference. They are really pretty educational, with Israelite culture, and stuff about the ten commandments, illustrations from Jesus, etc. Almost NO scary stuff and gore. I guess the writers figure (rightly) that it's time enough to teach that stuff later when the kids can handle it.

If I were still inclined toward bible/christianity, I wouldn't have a problem giving one of those books to my kid.

O

• observador
    observador

Nathan,

oh my goodnes!!!

• Mutz
    Mutz

I was on holiday with my family last year and I heard my JW Elder bro in-law reading from My Book of Horror Stories to one of my nephews. It sent shivers down my spine to think how the poor little bugger was being indoctrinated into the mindset of the cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit