My Book of Bible Stories

by brianhenke 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• brianhenke
    brianhenke

I was looking through My Book of Bible Stories (1978 ed.) and I have two questions:

- Have the JWs re-issued it, and...

- did they make any changes between editions?

Anyway, I found it shocking that the last illustration shows three children reading My Book of Bible Stories and on the floor is a copy of the HOLY BIBLE (hokey smoke! Where was the NWT?)

Brian

• Mulan
    Mulan

That book had two pictures I glued closed. I wouldn't let my youngest son see them until he was about 8 or 9. (it came out after the other three were older kids)

The pictures are the one of Abraham about to kill Isaac, and one of a soldier holding a baby by its ankles to cut it in half in Solomon's court. I thought they were horrible, and still do.

• smurfette
    smurfette

I think it was always just a generic "Holy Bible" on the last page of the Bible Story Book, but I'm not totally sure. I remember asking my mom why it wasn't a "real Bible" as a kid and being pretty concerned about it not being a NWT.

• alias
    alias

Brian,

I think they changed part of an illustration one one of the Noah's flood pages. In the water you could see an animal that looked sort of dinosaurish... but it was taken out in later revisions.

At least I think that's what I remember.

alias

• dh
    dh
    That book had two pictures I glued closed. I wouldn't let my youngest son see them until he was about 8 or 9. (it came out after the other three were older kids)

The pictures are the one of Abraham about to kill Isaac, and one of a soldier holding a baby by its ankles to cut it in half in Solomon's court. I thought they were horrible, and still do.

yeah i remember those pictures only too well! from about the age of 4, i remember how abraham killing isaac was to show us what faith is all about, and solomon threatening to chop the baby in half was a display of the wisdom god gave him!!!

as a kid i always used to wonder what would happen if the stroke fell and he chopped the baby in half, i guess they are good examples of what you gotta do to appease hov, but not things for children.

does anyone remember the illustration that went with judges 4.21 (not sure what book or magazine it was in)

Then Jael wife of Heber took a tent pin and grasped the mallet. When he was fast asleep from exhaustion, she approached him stealthily and drove the pin through his temple till it went down to the ground. Thus he died.

i remember a picture of that too, her about to hammer a tent pin through her husbands head.

there was another one in another publication of a guy with a millstone tied around his neck who had been flung off a cliff... that was also very graphic, i remember laughing, but it was actually pretty brutal.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

I'm so glad you asked! I love to compare the editions - and guess what? There is an important change - I have 2 copies; one with both my kids' names in it; and a newer edition, undated except for the original copyright of 1978.

The older edition claims 23,000,000 copies in 66 languages, the newer claims 51,500,000 copies in 122 languages; the important difference is on the last page - the original version says: "Additional copies of this book may be obtained for $2.50 (U.S.) each, postpaid. Also, receive the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, a Bible in modern English, for $3.50 (U.S) Send to Watchtower, using one of the addresses below."

Prices subject to change.

The later edition w/ same copyright date of 1978 says nothing about prices, just "Would you welcome more information?"

And they say they were never in the business of selling books. HAH!

• Odrade
    Odrade

I had a friend (she's still in) who took an exacto knife and sliced a bunch of pictures out of the book. Some of them gave her kids nightmares. She always said she couldn't understand how the WTS could use such poor discretion in selecting pictures for a childrens' book that we give to toddlers and younger. Yeah, the MBBS is pretty creepy when you think of the age of kids looking at the pictures. So... just how is that NOT conditioning?

O

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I had a friend (she's still in) who took an exacto knife and sliced a bunch of pictures out of the book.

That is a great idea...............I never thought of that.

By the way, I used to see those books and other WTS books at thrift stores. I always laughed at how much they were selling them for, and how I knew that householders would put them in the charity boxes to be taken to thrift stores. Too funny. I did find Faith on the March at one thrift store many years ago, and bought it for $2.00 I think. I sold it two years ago for $80 on ebay. There was a real bidding war going on over that one.

• Nathan Natas
  • simplesally
    simplesally

I agree, the book is full of violent pictures and the stories just seem to inspire fear of Jehovah rather than love for him. I don't read it to my daughter. I got a childrens bible for her from the book store.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit