Further Education

by scotsman 10 Replies latest jw friends

• scotsman
    scotsman

I had lunch with a JW friend who's just finished a Law Degree. She was saying that at the last Circuit Assembly the Bethel Speaker, (Philip Longstaffe) said that the Society had not changed its stance on further education, and that college for vocational skills was all that they thought was ok. My friend's a bit of a free thinker (I'd half hoped that this lunch date was to tell me she had doubts, but no) so she doesn't give fig what they think. I was actually appointed as an elder the month before I started attending Uni and the CO had told the other elders it was no reason to prevent my appointment.

Anyone else heard this at their assemblies? Or is it just be a pet peeve of Mr Longstaffe.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I had heard from a CO and ex Bethelite that the society had NOT changed its policy -- it is just more are ignoring it and do not seem to be getting punished -- privileges withheld etc.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Our circuit overseer recently told parents, "Do not sacrifice your children to the god of higher education."

• link
    link

It has been my experience, being involved on the periphery for the past nine years, that the Dubs say "yes" "Yes" "YES" at the meetings and then go off and do their own thing. Many do not understand what the religion is all about and many others could not care less what they are told. They don't know and don't want to know.

I often get the response "Oh! that doesn't apply to me" if I point this sort of thing out.

Of course you will always get the exception that proves the rule but I have found the majority to be completely two faced.

link

• loveis
    loveis

The best way to resolve this dispute would be to turn to the study article that is credited with making the "change" to the understanding about education (I believe it was in the latter half of 1992?) I recall that, at the time, it did not strike me as being any tremendous change to the previous understanding, in harmony with the first 2 posts above.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I remember a couple of articles. I don't have access to either now. But there was that study article loveis mentioned and there were some cover story Awake articles in early 1995 the year I graduated high school. One thing stands out in memory. One or both of those articles said the purpose of any education beyond high school should be to support the person in the full-time service. When I read the earlier study article, I still had no plans for going to college. Later in the middle of my senior year, I changed my mind convincing myself that the only way I would be able to work part-time and support myself in the full-time service would be to get a bachelor's degree. My parents were supportive, fortunately. I had convinced myself that with a degree in electrical engineering, I could open some sort of electronics repair shop, work part-time, make enough money to move out on my own and pioneer. It wasn't particularly logical thinking, but it jived with my JW beliefs, which aren't particularly logical either, and was a way to justify my post-secondary education. When that Awake came out, it made me feel a little better about my decision. As I went through college, I kind of let that plan slide and decided I'd go for regular job somewhere when I got out, which is what I did.

The change in the "generation" teaching probably also factored into my decision. We had always been taught the generation of 1914, so I didn't think I was going to grow old in this "system". All of a sudden dying of old age in this "system" was a possibility although I was still thought I should be serving God to the end. So employment skills became a little more important to me. I did not buy into that "trust God and he will magically make food appear on your table" crock. Although I was still convincing myself that this was the right religion, I thought perhaps I had better work in harmony with my prayers to God and my trust in God. It's not in the Bible, but I thought the phrase "God helps those who help themselves" was a wise one.

I never got any direct grief about my education from the elders. The only time I lost privileges (privileges being microphone duty, attendant, etc) was when my field service hours average went below 10, but they gave them back when they needed some workers, so there were no repurcussions there. There were some vague discouragements from the platform and maybe a little stronger from visiting elders. I do understand that elders and overseers in other areas were much more harsh about this. However, I doubt I would have paid attention to any demand to quit school. My beliefs at the time were that "God's Kingdom could come 5 years or 500 years from now and still be in this "generation" under the new definition (Really, if you think about that definition, it's indefinite. But they continue to try to push that urgency feeling.) and if I happened to grow old in this system, it would be my responsibility alone to support myself financially. They certainly weren't leaving me any large inheritance.

• Purple
    Purple

Dunno what the official stance is but before I left there were a lot of elders children getting into uni and the congregation praised them for it because it meant that there were more brains for the society to use in the future. You should of heard the fuss though when I annnounced I had gotten in to uni in my first preference and was a mature aged student!!!

Of course looking back now I can see it was jealousy because here I was no hubby in the truth, with freedom, doing exactly what I wanted and them under the thumb champing at the bit to do half the things I was doing...oh if they could see me now!!! Tattoo, loosing wait, voting, going back to uni again to do post grad study, highly paid, absolutley free and wanting to sleep around, going out and having fun under no ones control but my own!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

As has been noted before, there has been a notable change in attitude in the past 10 or 15 years towards education.

Nearly every person graduating from high school in our area (Southeast US) goes to college or some vo-tech school.

I think living at home is now the big issue.

I recall the crap hit the fan when one brother wanted to go a college in another state and live on campus. He was put under a lot of pressure by the elders not to go.

He ended up going locally to a college and everything was then ok.

***** Rub a Dub

• scotsman
    scotsman

Subsequently I mentioned this to my brother, a P.O., as he was at the same assembly. He understood the comments quite differently as it made him think there would be no problem for his kids to go to uni (they're currently aged 4 and 7!). Same talk, same, place, same speaker, but a different interpretation. Funny how the Borg is like that.

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

I've heard half a dozen different slants on this from people in a "position of authority" and I've come to the conclusion that mostly you're hearing personal opinion.

I know one brother that was assigned a district assembly part and the people that rehearsed him tried to get him to say something negative about higher education and he refused because it wasn't in the outline. They gave it up in the end.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit