The Drive Home Tonight,Crying.

by Blueblades 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Let's see,where do I start?I decided to have a quiet drive home after work.It takes about one and half hours.No CD playing,no Talk Radio,no News, just a quiet drive listening to my own thoughts.I'm not concentrating on any one thing,just kind of letting my mind flow wherever it wants to.

Then it starts,my mind goes back to when our children were small.As I'm driving I am having this flashback,I'm going to save my family from dying at Armageddon,why the little ones are dependant on us for their future life happiness.

There will be no Birthday parties,holiday celebrations,even though one of them was born on the 4th of July.No extra-curricular activities at school,and everyone will know that they don't salute the flag,nor sing the national anthem.And at the infirmary they know that they are not to take blood.

After school homework,the preparing for meetings,more studying comes next.No TV. tonight,it's a meeting night.Oh Goody,the weekend is here,now we can go out and play.Sorry,we have to go out in field service,Mommy and Daddy will show you how to have so much fun in the field service on Saturday and Sunday.

I start to cry,literally,there is real pain in my chest and a lump in my throat.As I have this flashback on the drive home tonight.I think of how I robbed my children of their childhood,I'm getting very emotional and angry,a picture flashes across my mind of all those years,30 plus,that I lost for my wife and children.The opportunities that we turned down,we are going to survive Armageddon!

I have had a talked with my family about my regrets over having put my family through this before and they don't blame me.They feel that I was doing what I thought was the best for them at the time.They forgive me,but I having yet forgiven myself.

The family says that they learned something about life,religion etc.That the experience has not made them bitter,and they have moved on.The children are happily married and doing fine.My wife and I are doing the best that we can with what time we have left.We are in our sixties,no retirement or pension fund.Taking it day to day.

This is what happened on the quiet drive home tonight,it's been a year and a half of being inactive and still the flashbacks of the past 30 something years in the Watchtower and all of what that has entail in raising my family still wells up inside me when I try to rest my mind and think of nothing.

I cried all the way home for one and a half hours,pain in my chest and heart,my head feeling like it would explode,angry at the society for the big chunk of life that they stole from us.

And I thought of so many others sharing the same feelings and experiences as my family,and those still stuck inside.Soon as I arrived home,I collected myself together and said:"HI Honey,I'm Home! Yes really home with someone who truly loves me and loved me for the past 37 years! My Wife.And that they can never take away.

Blueblades

• shamus
    shamus

It would be wrong to not feel the way that you do. How can you look back and find out that you've thrown your life away for many many years? I too, feel it.

I'm 33, never been married, don't own a house.... my life is in the toilet right now, but it won't be for long. What the witnesses took away from me I will never get back. I just look toward the future. That's how I get through my dayz.

I, too, lost my childhood. My childhood was filled with nonstop pain, even when I was happy. My mother gave me a folder with some memorabilia in it such as report cards, yearbook pictures, etc. It hurts me to look at it. Every time I do I cry for the very same reasons. For the loss.

• Amazing
    Amazing

HI Blue,

Very moving account, and I relate completely ... very similar to my situation ... I spent a total of 27 years with the JWs ... and in the first few years after I left the religion, I went through a lot of grief ... many tears thinking how I miss trips to the beach with the family while I worked on Time Slip reports, and other so-called all-important Elder stuff. What a waste ... and my family, like your does not blame me, but undestand as does your family ...

What they appreciate ... and I suspect that your family does too ... is that their dad also had the balls to stand up against falsehood, apply some serious intellectual honesty and set them free ... my wife and children are very grateful for that ... and that is why we all could come out together ... they have moved on faster than I have ... I guess that is our lot, to take time to grieve a little longer ...

But what you have in your family, and what I have as well, is a lifelong love and caring that the wretched Watchtower can never screw around with again ... and that says a lot for how well you raised your children, and that you built lasting bonds with them ...

Don't run from the grief ... Shamus has a good point about being normal to feel as you do ... instead, work through the grief ... and in time healing does come ... we can never recover the lost time, but we can make the time left count more than ever ...

You are a little older than me ... I am almost 53 ... but I am on a short timeline with heart disease eating every second I have ... so, make your time count ... literally with your family ... treasure every hug from your grandchilren ... every moment of laughter with your children ... and every last loving look from your wife's eyes ... that is real treasure.

Jim Whitney

• mouthy
    mouthy

I understand completly - I often have flashbacks too. But yours are alive Thank God for that. Mine are dead ( well 3 of them) Enjoy what is left, while your FREE

• Satanus
    Satanus

People grieve for others' deaths. In this case, it's the past death really, of part of your life, your wife's and your kids'.

Letting it hang out like that is good. It's grief. I think it's something we need to go through, not short circuit, or try to deny. I don't think that it is bottomless. In other words, it comes to an end.

I have my own grief, so this isn't just theory.

SS

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

blueblades,

Very touching post.

I can't help but feel the pain that you felt as you drove home because, I too, as many here have felt, I have felt like I just pissed away a good part of my life.

Your family has a refreshing persepctive on it. Not all was lost. But you are not wrong for feeling as you do. I think it is only natural.

For me, I feel that at least I do know the Bible better than i would have elsewhere. I also now try to have compassion for others beliefs after being so judgmental all of my life. And my bullshit detector is now constantly on high alert. And with that little detector being so sensitive now, it has saved me from a few experiences that may have otherwise ended poorly for me.

And your experience isn't a lost lesson.

I don't want this to sound mean, but I am 32 and have alot of living to do yet. Your above recounting motivates me to make sure that i make the most of my life as it is right now. To surround myself with people who I love and who love and appreciate me for who I am, and are not attached to me for what I can give them or who they feel I should be.

Your lesson is a tough one, but it is one that is noticed and has an effect on others besides yourself and your family.

Thank you for sharing that touching and fragile moment with us

Best,

Paul [Winston]

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

((((Blueblades)))) Let it all out, chere....then let it go.....your fam has already forgiven you....and so has God....or He wouldn't have allowed your eyes to be opened if you didn't have a good heart, hon....all any of us get from holding on to the guilt, which was WTS-inspired, is sore feet from kickin ourselves over our past mistakes....you were deceived...it's over....perhaps this episode was like when someone loses a loved one and is unable to cry...to express their grief....then finally the "trigger" comes and they're suddenly able to cry, to vent...to grieve the loss.....and now you can begin to celebrate yall's new life...yall's new beginnings....

Hugs,

Frannie B

• jgnat
    jgnat

Maybe this will make you feel better:

When I think of these parents today, I'm reminded of a photograph in my files of an elegantly dressed woman who is holding a cup of coffee. Her little finger is cocked ever so daintily to the side and her face reveals utter self-assurance. Unfortunately, this woman does not yet know that her slip has collapsed around her feet. The caption reads, "Confidence is what you have before you understand the situation."

If it is any consolation, I figure a parent who has no regrets, has not been paying attention! Children have a great capacity to forgive, when they know your heart is in the right place. Your heart was always in the right place, and they know it!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Blueblades

What a gift to give those of us who have not yet found the words to describe those feelings.

Thank you

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

What a beautiful post.

You brought back memories for me that I cant put into words as good as you

You said it all

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit