The L-Word

by asortafairytale 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

Did anyone else watch the pilot of Showtime's new show, The L-Word?

It stars Jennifer Beals(Flashdance), and Laurel Holloman, and it is a like a combination of Sex in the City and a female Queer as Folk.

It's about time they had show centering around lesbians! :)

www.sho.com/site/lword/home.do

~asortafairytale~

• nilfun
    nilfun

Wow, Miz Gorgeous, Pam Grier looks...well, gorgeous. Does that woman ever age?

altalt

Makes me sorry that I don't have Showtime...I thought the "let's make a baby clip" was so sweet.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Seriously lipstick.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

How realistic was it? Queer as folk isn't my favorite show by a long shot.

• Princess
    Princess

I watched it. I thought it was pretty good.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Speaking as a lesbian, this represents less than 1% off all lesbians I have known, heard about, or seen. Not pictured here nor appearing in this show are the leather dykes, any lesbian that looks butch or even androgynous, they don't dress like dykes and most dykes are NOT this thin (and I'm not saying most of us are fat). Not to mention this show only shows a very small age cross section as well. Personally believe this show was cast based on a man's image of what a lesbian should look like so that they could get off on it.

Pisses me off to be quite frank.

Gretchen

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

Hey, thanks for posting the pic Nilfun! :)

Also speaking as a lesbian, I really liked this show. How realistic is it? Well, although the women are all femme, it's not too bad. Its a lot more like Sex in the City than Queer as Folk, and the characters are likable. I have to disagree with Gretchen, though, the character Shane is pretty leather(and pretty yummy!) if you ask me. :)

~asortafairytale~

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Well there you go, a big difference between a 22 year old watching and 47.

Gretchen

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

well as a straight gal who knows a lot of lesbians they don't look very typical to me either but then that would sell so well now would it?

The writer is a lesbian and her goal is to present a mainstream idea of lesbians

seems to me that sex sells and it doesn't seem to matter whi is selling it if the packages are pretty enough.

Personally I can't say I know one lesbian who looks even remotely like the women in the show. Not that the women I know are butch looking either. many aren't. But they certainly wouldn't be the average pin-up either.

Haven't seen the show but saw a docu piece on it.

Without having seen it and only seen the docu on it

• Princess
    Princess

maybe the target audience is married heteros. It didn't seem realistic but it was entertaining.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit