Do you know?

by Schizm 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Schizm
    Schizm

A certain JW doesn't believe in the 1914 doctrine any longer.

This, of course, naturally gives rise to certain serious problems. For example, how can this person now continue to participate in field service activities and make use of the publications produced by the WTS? Since such publications themselves continue to acvocate the 1914 doctrine then this would obviously create a dilemma for this "publisher". Also, this publisher's dilemma is further compounded by reason of the fact that the 1914 doctrine is frequently a part of the meeting's study material, student talks ... and is even within the lyrics of certain kingdom melodies.

What does the WTS expect such a person to do in view of a situation that is obviously beyond this publisher's control? Fact: The publisher is NOT simply spiritually weak, because he knows for a fact that the kingdom wasn't established in 1914. It appears that the publisher has no choice but to become inactive, both with regards to field service and meeting attendance.

What do you think would be the reponse if a member of the Governing Body became aware of this publisher's dilemma? Do you know? Anybody have any personal experience as a result of having faced this very situation?

• onacruse
    onacruse

Well, you just pretty much outlined what led to my JC and DF.

1914 is make-or-break for the WTS...otherwise, their whole house of cards comes crashing down around their head.

Craig

• greven
    greven

Indeed, the 1914 doctrine is the backbone of this religion. On this doctrine alone rests the entire authority of the GB. Disbelieving this doctrine will disqualify one as a JW. There was a watchtower about this in 1986, I believe. That stated that one was considered a JW not only by believing in the bible but also in all the beliefs unique to JW's. 1914 was stated as a prime example.

Greven

• link
    link

As an Unbaptised Publisher I was faced with this very question. When I found out that the 1914 chronology did not add up I went to the elders and told them that I wanted to terminate my involvement. I said that I could no longer go out on field service and tell people that they had to believe things that were likely untrue and that I could not believe myself.

Their response was that I would never be asked about 1914 whilst I was in the ministry therefore it should never be a problem for me!!!

However they did agree that if I were ever to conduct a Bible study my disbelief might present a problem and consequently they accepted my "resignation" (no announcement).

The strange thing is that they never pointed out that I had to believe 1914 in order to get baptised and be a Witness and they never tried to convince me of 1914. It seemed that most of the people that I spoke to did not believe it either and I later found that most Witnesses that I came into contact with did not even understand the Doctrine or it’s implications.

link

• mouthy
    mouthy

Schzim Welcome to the site of UNconditional love.... I was DF because I dont believe Jesus came invisably in 1914- I never did believe it ( although I believed everything else except that Jesus did not have a beard)When I was baptised (1963) I told them that-but it didnt seem to matter ( well they found out Jesus did have a beard before I was baptised)But then in 1986 April 1st 1986 they published in the Watchtower in the Questions From Readers. page 31 That we were to believe it or we would be "ousted" So I wrote To Fred franz telling him that I had told them prior to baptism that I could never accept that. Well needless to say two Brothers? came to visit & told me I would be ousted if I didnt believe -they asked if they could teach me it again... Of course after all these years I had been taught enough. So I was DF in 1987-my hubby had died in 1985 -he had told me all along they would dump me once he was gone( he was not a JW)I guess he was the only prophet I really knew. Hope this helps my friend. I am the Granny on the board. My dear Grandson Razor sent me this link to help you understand your question Thank you my darling Ray((((((((HUGS))))

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Exactly Schizm! Exactly! When I ultimately understood why I couldn't step foot in a Kingdom Hall anymore, why it was so unacceptably uncomfortable for me anymore, I summed it up just as you did to my family, but w/o specific reference to 1914 - when I still wanted to believe, but simply couldn't: I can't go to meetings because meetings are entirely about going in field service, and acceptance by the group at the Hall is based entirely on going in field service, and I couldn't go in field service, because I didn't have anything I could conscientiously teach the householders, couldn't honestly invite them to join me (!), and wasn't sure of anything I'd been teaching for so many years so confidently, so all I could do if I did go in service would be maybe read scriptures to them and say, "Well, take it for what it's worth."

My family thought that was very amusing. But they don't see that it's not funny at all.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Well, I don't believe that JW's have the privilege to pick and choose which of the WTBTS doctrines, etc. they believe and which they don't. It comes in a neat package and one has to accept that package. Even if the information changes back and forth, it still remains part of the package of the JW "truth".

I learned before I was twenty years old, that if you question anything, and you are speaking to just the right person, they could bring you before the commitee to be chastized or even worse. Just in casual conversation between mother and daughter, with me asking and questioning things, I quickly found that she would turn me in. She told me it was her duty to "keep the organization" from the affects of a weak-minded individual who lacked faith-- talking about and discussing things that we "ought not to be doing". I was told it showed a lack of faith in the organization, which was afterall, god's organization here on earth. And how dare I behave in such a way, because it would show badly as to her parenting skills and raising us up as JW's.

I lived in fear and so I kept my mouth shut. I lived in so much fear, that "someone on the outside" suggested that I read "Crisis of Conscience" and I was petrified at the thought of even holding the book in my hands. It would be some eighteen years on down the road, before I gathered enough strength to walk away for good.

/<

• freeman
    freeman

Some years ago when I dared to start seriously questioning some basic JW doctrines I asked to borrow an AID book from an Elder friend of mine who then proceeded to ask me as to why I needed it. I said I just wanted to do a bit more research on the destruction of Jerusalem. When I gave it back a few days later he asked how my research was doing, and I said, well, I hit a bit of an impasse, I just can?t seem to find any support for the destruction of Jerusalem in the year 607 BCE outside of the AID book and other Watchtower printed literature. All the historians and scholars point to a different date. He said, and I will quote him verbatim, ?Well they are obliviously mistaken because if it didn?t happen in the year 607 then everything which is built off of that date like 1914, 1919 would just not be true.? I said oh yes, I see what you are saying; I guess you are right, they just must have it wrong.

Incredible is it not? He had given himself the answer, but he was just too dense, too brain-dead, and too brainwashed to ever see. Regrettably the poor SOB is still in.

Freeman

• philuk
    philuk

listen friend i would not worry about doctrines jesus said dont get embroiled i narguments about words etc.All you need to worry about is cultivating deep love for Jehovah and for your neihbour who cares about 1914.All I know is witnesses have a great privelidge preaching the good news and the end will come when jehovah decides.Concentrate on producing fruit in yourself, follow jesus example

• Sargon
    Sargon

What example would that be... getting nailed to a cross?? No thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit