As a kid, what did you used to say on the doors.

by dh 21 Replies latest jw friends

• dh
    dh

i guess this questions is for people who grew up as jw's...

when you were out door knocking as kids, did the people who's doors you knocked on ever tell your parents that they shouldn't bring you out door knocking in the freezing cold, or did they ever ask you why you were out door knocking when you're so young?

i remember both questions coming up fairly often since in england it is always winter, never forget the way this one old guy bent down and asked me why i was there and i gave the answer 'i'm here because i want to be' which was a total bold faced lie, but it was what we taught to say.

anyone else experience this?

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

"Ten cents please."

• freedom96
    freedom96

I don't remember what I used to say when I was real young, though I remember going out.

As I got older, I remember a few speech and debates with householders with a close friend of mine. But usually, the second they said they had their own religion, I was not off of the porch fast enough.

I cannot even imagine going door to door now. It has been 10 years or so, and thankfully, I will never have to again.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Well, DH, I usually stood there frightened out of my tights. I mumbled something under my breath and held up the Watchtower and Awake magazines. I figured they spoke enough on their own. I didn't place too many but some people took pity on a little kid and took them.

Syrup, LOL!

~Aztec

• Sassy
    Sassy

the same old thing.. We're Jehovah's Witnesses with the latest Watchtower and Awake. They'd smile at me (and my pretty innocent eyes) and ask me how much and almost always take them..

weird how I was always scared at the doors.. but it was when I saw the response to older people that scared me..

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Watchtower and Awake for a dime.

When young another sister & I would speak french at the doors. lol, just to keep us interested in what we were doing and how the householder would respond to 2 silly girls.

• Mac
    Mac

*In Cherubic fashion......*

"Hello....My name is Brian. I am doing a Christian work and would like to offer the latest issues of theWatchtower and Awake magazines upon a contribution of ten cents. I am sure you will enjoy reading these articles."

*presents upward turned opened palm*

mac, feeling a little nauseous

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I was constantly reminded to smile, to try to look warm, to not look bored, be polite, etc. I also always gave mom an eager "yep" when she asked if I was going out even though I dreaded it. I would tell the householders when they asked that it was important to me or that I didn't mind standing out..what else do you say when you're drilled from birth.

• alias
    alias

I usually offered the latest tract. People would take it... most likely because they felt sorry for me. It's hard to reject kids. Heck, I always give them a buck when they come to my door selling candy.

suckeralias

• alias
    alias

P.S. And wouldn't you know... you couldn't COUNT tract placements. I wonder why not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit