As a kid, what did you used to say on the doors.

by dh 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I used to offer the "Awake and its compainon magazine for a contribution of 6d (old money to Brits) for the two." I'd shut up if anyone challenged me as a kid and I let my dad explain why I was with him. My 13 year older brother (Secondson) (I was 9) used to be able to do the 2 scripture sermon when we did sermon work together on a Sunday morning. How bad was that?

3rd

• alias
    alias

dh,

Your avatar reminds me of a hamburger.

:)

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

"you don't want these magazines do you?"

No actually I was unctuous.. the creepy kid who acted cute but was not cute and knew that no one thought he was cute. so I succeeded in placing magazines through the generation of discomfort. 'I'll buy these magazines off this creepty unctuous child actor, just so he gets the hell off my doorstep.' perhaps that's what they though.

Anyway it worked and it paid for colas and "debbie snack cakes" on break, the solitary pleasure. Dad paid for the magazines, and I never gave any of the sales to the contribution box. I figured god could make a big pile of gold if he wanted to, if the funds dried up. How lazy of him!

• Odrade
    Odrade

"Would you like to know how you can find true peace and security? This little booklet tells you how from the Bible. It is only 5 cents. Would you like it?"

That was my first pres at 5 y.o. It is burned into my brain. The first time I ever gave that presentation it was to an enormous old lady (to my 5 y.o. eyes) who was working in her yard. I got through the first question, and she stood up and yelled. "NO!" Scared my little baby poop right out of me. My parents told me something like "that's okay, she's not saying no to you, she's saying no to Jehovah" and we just went on to the next door.

Another time (about the same age) I was supposed to read the scripture at the door. The householder started yelling at the sister I was with "what's the matter with you people, taking babies to the door and forcing them to preach." I just thought she was crazy. But when I grow up, I'm gonna be a crazy lady just like her.

Odrade

• dh
    dh
    dh,

Your avatar reminds me of a hamburger.

:)

hehe

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

DH,

Yesterday, at dinner, my son and I were discussing children's TV and I sang "paint - the - whole - world - with - a - RAINBOW!" Mrs Thirdson thought I was loopy, but you would understand.

3rd

• dh
    dh

hehe, rainbow!

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Hello, how are you? My name is xxxxxx. Would you like the watchtower and awake for 10cents.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Good Morning Ma'am.

We are just making brief calls this morning, on you and your neighbours, offering the latest copies of the Watchtower and Awake Magazine, for 10 cents.

Would you be interested?

No?

Well then, could I come in and watch cartoons?

PS. Did you ever work with anyone door to door who insisted on saying Awake and Watchtower vs Watchtower and Awake?

• Special K
    Special K

I remember, as a child, someone taking me to a door where the man got really, really mad...

and threatened to throw boiling water on us..

I was almost traumatized by it. I couldn't understand why anyone could be so mad..

Now, I sort of know why they could be so mad.. but i still don't think they did the right thing by threatening us like that.

I am still reasonable in how I tell Mormons that I don't want them to call.

sincerely

Special K

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit