Proposed Georgia(USA) Assembly Hall Collected Funds, 3.5 Million Dollars, donated to the World Wide Work

by James Jack 62 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    When the donations were made the checks clearly stated for XYZ project, then it must be used for XYZ project or returned. This will jeopardize their 501C3 tax exempt status.

Thats why they tell the dubs to not put a specific purpose on their checks. Also the majority of donations are not check but cash. This will not jeopardize their tax status, no matter how dishonest and dirty it was. Also also when they “donated” the money it was no doubt done by resolution and vote of all elder bodies involved. Even if checks were made to that specific fund for that specific reason the resolution by the represenatives of the congregations who donated is legal.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

Someone who is an actual Tax lawyer could answer that question but in all the 501C3 organizations I have been involved we have always been warned by the tax accountants: If you take the money in for reason. XYZ you will spend it for XYZ or you will return the money to the donors. I have been involved in many types of charities and also private schools where we raised money for financial aid for students who otherwise could not attend because of the tuition. IRS does take these 501C3 corporations very seriously, I know I have sat through a few of these bloody audits. If someone has actual documents that a board resolution is overriding actual earmarked donations then a simple phone call to IRS will start the ball rolling.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

You should place that call

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

Never a JW, I have no clue what type of docs you guys have besides you would never allow a woman to look at your books no matter how many degrees she has!!!

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

There is an assembly hall in South Carolina USA which sits on 58 acres.

Is this Orangeburg? I would note that is a very rural area.

75 acres anywhere near Atlanta is a big deal.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Never a JW, I have no clue what type of docs you guys have besides you would never allow a woman to look at your books no matter how many degrees she has!!!

Theres a lot of problems with that reply. First, in admitting that you “have no clue what type of docs” the org has you invalidate your previous two cock sure posts. As i suspected, you know nothing for sure, you just wanted to sound smart and suggest a course of action that made you sound educated and ready to battle, but in reality was toothless and, at best, a hunch on your part that you have no real confidence in.

Second you used phrasing that is wrong and personally objectionable (flatly insulting) to me three times in one sentence. You said “no idea what type of docs YOU GUYS have” “besides YOU would never allow” “to look at YOUR books”. To be clear, i am not a represenative of the wtb&s or the desert witnesses in any respect. I am former member. Referring to me as some sort of a personal representative with any decision making authority is false and slanderous.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

Morpheus I have full confidence in the statement I made. I have spent 40+ years working with 501C3 for my clients in a financial role and as a chairperson for many 501C3 charity organizations, I am very much aware what the law state regarding donations.

I stated YOU GUYS meaning the JWs not you personally.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Don' worry ol Wt will have something up their sleeve to slither out of it.

• James Jack
    James Jack

Interesting points on the Tax Laws. I’m the Accounts Servant and we had a designated contribution box for the “West Georgia Assembly Hall”. Then, at the end of the month, I would make out a check for all the funds collected to the “West Georgia Assembly Hall”.

But I wonder, because all the affected Congregations passed a “Resolution” donating the funds to the WBTS, they were able to cover themselves.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

James Jack,

I do not have the time to look up the tax code but just placed a call to my girlfriend who is the head Elder of Finance for her church. She is driving right now but when she gets home she promises the answer with tax code.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit