Is there anything good JWs taught you still benefit from?

by venus 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    If you go to college, by the way, you learn public speaking as well.

But many who never had the opportunity to go to college learned it as JW's. For e.g. My parents

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Venus That was an interesting and very positive speech you heard - and of course he's absolutely right.

Its funny though, his calling anger ' energy in motion', it's almost evolutionary territory he's getting in to. ' Fight or flight' response. Once we see how these emotions developed in hominids we get away from the idea of " sin" and " humans being bad, with bad emotions" . Its almost like he understands that. Everything we do has a basis in evolutionary psychology and is not, therefore, 'evil' per sa, and as he was saying take that natural response to conflict and do something positive with it.

Interesting!

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I had the opportunity several years ago to debate a extreme fundamentalists at the local library. It was 2 years after leaving the borg. I had a great time disproving all his nonsense me was trying to defend. The guy I debated fancy himself a prophet of God. I had a lot of fun with this but. I will give credit to some of the things I learned as a JW. Still Totally ADD

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I learned how to really hate with a vengeance.

If there is anything the WBT$ is good at it's vile vitriolic hatred of the murderous kind.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Though most of the JW teaching seemed unsound and irrational, points in this marriage talk were amazing which helps me even now in all avenues of my life. [I don’t know all JW marriage speakers use the illustration and explanation because this was the only one I attended]

I understand where you come from. However, it's impossible to expect that every single thing, every single thought that the WT teaches is wrong or harmful.

In my case, something that I believe the WT influenced me for the positive is my celebrations of Christmas and my birthdays. After I left, i was surprised about the horror stories I heard from some people around me about Christmas and birthdays. Some people hate the holiday season and their forced expenses and family gatherings. I on the other hand, feel flexible enough to not feel obligated to spend or celebrate at all since I grew up without it.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

By the way on PUBLIC SPEAKING.

Even though there is a 'so-called school' for JW to learn how to speak, I found that not more than 1 or 2% were actually good at it.

Imagine if that was the success rate for say Harvard or Princeton?

• jp1692
    jp1692

Yes, but not anything that couldn't have been learned elsewhere without the severe and long-lasting negative effects.

For example:

POSITIVE - I got lots of experience in public speaking while a JW.

NEGATIVE - My entire nuclear family was destroyed by this cult. Why? Because I realized it is a cult based on lies and so I left. As a result I am shunned by my children and (now ex-) wife.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Public Speaking

I used to think that having done public speaking via the Ministry School was a good thing but I've since come to realize that the skills I gained are only good if someone else supplies the materials to be used and I'm speaking to an audience that is already in agreement with everything I'm going to say.

It's quite another matter to speak publically about ones own thoughts and have them questioned or challenged by those who are listening, especially if you've been "spoiled" by never having to express your own thoughts or have never had them challenged or questioned.

Keeping your eye simple

I do think that the idea of keeping a "simple eye" in terms of materialism and debt, has been beneficial to me but JW's weren't the first and only ones to realize that if you live a life free of materialism and stay out of debt, things will be easier for you in the long run.

• Chook
    Chook

Public relation deception techniques , and the encouragement to stick with one wife.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Venus if a JW's only offering in a marriage talk about solving arguments for married couples is buy another TV, I'm sorry but that's the most pathetic piece of advice I've ever heard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit