Top AI inventor Geoffrey Hinton reluctantly concluded that AI will probably humanity fairly soon

by slimboyfat 78 Replies latest social current

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"And what is wrong with my post Syd?

RB."

Nothing. My reply was directed at anony mous, not you.

Although if I was being really pedantic, i'd mention that I don't think the B-17 was ever used against Japan itself. Didn't have the range. It was used in the Pacific Theater. The Doolittle raid on Tokyo used B-25's from aircraft carriers but was mostly symbolic. The serious bombing of the Japanese home islands didn't get underway until 1944 when the B-29 became available.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

To this discussion there is a relevant portion of an article at https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/18/world/asia/g7-ukraine-artificial-intelligence.html called "Ukraine and China Will Dominate G7 Summit, but a New Threat Lurks: A.I. - The leaders are expected to hold their first talks on a common regulatory approach to generative artificial intelligence." It says in part the following.

"But at some point over three days of discussions, the G7 leaders are also expected to venture into new territory: the first conversations among the world’s largest democratic economies about a common approach to regulating the use of generative artificial intelligence programs like GPT-4.

... But as the new artificial intelligence language model from OpenAI made nations around the world focus for the first time on the possibilities for disinformation, chaos and the physical destruction of critical infrastructure, Mr. Biden’s national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, began calling counterparts to seek a common discussion.

... American officials say that in the case of chatbots, even a vague foundational discussion may help in establishing some shared principles: that the corporations that bring products using the large-language models will be primarily responsible for their safety, and that there must be transparency rules that make it clear what kind of data each system was trained on. That will enable lower-level aides to discuss details of what those first regulations would look like, the officials said."

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I wonder if any who were dismissive of the threat from artificial intelligence are reevaluating the situation yet? More experts now expressing concern publicly.

https://youtu.be/f20wXjWHh2o

• cofty
    cofty

No not yet

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Chalmers & Dennet are the most concerning for me.

If anyone knows how an analytic thinker thinks, it's them. Or those. (Not sure which).

Wonder if A.I. is 'The great Filter'(or the evolutionary leap almost no species is able to navigate successfully) the Fermi Paradox posits?

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

By mid-century,,,it is rumored that one could not differentiate between human and artificial intelligence.

Time will tell,,"to be Captain Obvious.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"Wonder if A.I. is 'The great Filter'(or the evolutionary leap almost no species is able to navigate successfully) the Fermi Paradox posits?"

I'd guess Virtual Reality is the great filter in a sense. They are all out there, but plugging into your own personal fantasy kingdom is way too enticing and every intelligent species goes that route before developing interstellar travel.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

David Chalmers? Cool, he’s one of my favourite philosophers. 👍

Beth Sarim I think many are now expecting it much sooner than that, like within a few years, perhaps within a decade.

Geoffrey Hinton says he never used to worry about super-intelligent AI because he assumed it was 100 years away or more. That was his view for decades while at the forefront of research. But in the past three years the rapid progress of AI has surprised him and he has completely reconsidered his expectations.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Hey Slim:

You're probably correct. It may be by the years 2030's sometime that AI maybe the dominant side.

The way you see exponentially growth in electronics and technology and stuff.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Can't we just pull out the plug?

Yep! exactly what I was going to post.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit