New movie "Spotlight" coming out - child abuse cover-ups

by WireRider 15 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• WireRider
    WireRider

I just saw a commercial for a new movie coming out. Spotlight - about a newspaper exposing the cover-ups of the Catholic Church about child sexual abuse. Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo. In theaters soon.

I will wake people up to child sexual abuse in all religions.

http://www.religionnews.com

No need to bury the lede: Spotlight is a masterpiece.
    Director Tom McCarthy’s drama (**** out of four; rated R; opens Friday in New York, Los Angeles and Boston, nationwide Nov. 20) embraces both great cinema and even better journalism as it chronicles a Boston Globe investigative team’s real-life expose on child abuse by local priests and the Catholic Church cover-up that followed. Not only is it an amazingly crafted movie, it’s an important one as well.
    The Globe group won a Pulitzer Prize for its 2002 work, but the real tale begins a year earlier with the arrival of new boss Marty Baron (Liev Schreiber) to the newspaper. He wants to see the Globe dig into some really hefty stuff, like following up on a recent column accusing a priest of sexually molesting dozens of kids over three decades.

• Zoos
  • Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri
    Wow. I don't go to movies anymore but I may go to this one. Yeah, I think I will go see this one.
  • 4thgen
    4thgen
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely be there.
  • WireRider
    WireRider
    I encourage all to promote the movie on others boards as well. It's a true and timely story. I'd like to hear the back story from the actors as to why they wanted to be in the movie.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

WireRider - "I'd like to hear the back story from the actors as to why they wanted to be in the movie."

Ten bucks says at least some of 'em have strong personal reasons.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Saw Spotlight this afternoon. Excellent movie on child abuse among Catholics in Boston. Was stunned by the timing of the reporters investigating the article that came out in the Boston Globe. It was the same time period Bill Bowen and Barbar Anderson were interviewed by Dateline. Both stories were delayed in the press and public view due to 911 happening in 2001. Both stories were then reported on in 2002.

I highly recommend seeing this movie, knowing how guilty the WT organization is, similar to the Catholics as the world is finding out.

• smiddy
    smiddy

A definite must see movie for me , Liev Schreiber`s character in Donovan had an abuse as a child by a Catholic priest .

smiddy

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

A good article from the New York Times about the movie "Spotlight":

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/spotlight-and-its-revelations

• life is to short
    life is to short

It is just going to come to the city I live in in the next few weeks, I am deferentially going. I encourage everyone to see it but just like with the movies Doubt it will all blow over. I just do not know what will wake people up. Bill Crosby? Penn State? Nothing seems to make people wake up. They look at it and say it's such a shame and then go on with their lives.

It is so frustrating. I have tired so much myself to talk about it, to tell people and no one really wants to know or if they do want to get involved it is for their own means to make a name for themselves not to truly stop the abuse. I have gotten tricked to many times into believing someone really wanted to help me and then when I found out it was just for their own glory the pain of that is like being abused all over but almost worse.

All I know is that I will never stop telling people that JW's send pedophiles door to door even if it means nothing to them now maybe someday somewhere someone will say enough.

I just found out it is playing where I live and I am going to go see it this afternoon. I just hope someday that this will be looked at like we were just really back words people to allow children to be subject to pedophiles in the name of religion.

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit