What is it with British accents?

by Aztec 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Aztec
    Aztec

First, I must say they are very attractive. Second, why are they soooo hard to understand?

I just got off of the phone with two British guys and I spent most of the time saying "what?" They talk so fast! I've "talked" to both of these guys on im and I understand them fine so it's not just the peculiar slang. I've spoken with people from differant areas in England and some I understand better than others. One of them had the nerve to tell me that I had a thick accent. Me? No way! Maybe it's because they both had colds. LOL! Maybe both of them had plugged up ears and stuffy (bunged up) noses.

Does anyone else have a really tough time understanding people from other countries and their accents? Please tell me it's not just me.

~Aztec

• Mulan
    Mulan

Yes.............it can be hard when English isn't their first language. With the British, it's their own area accent too. I could understand Simon and Ang just fine, but couldn't understand the boys. Englishman and his wife are very easy to understand.

I suspect they all talked a bit slower for us.

I have a very hard time understanding any of the Vietnamese girls (there are 3 of them) who do my manicures every two weeks. One of them was raised in Canada, but still has the accent. It helps when the shop is full of women like me, and we can all help to translate.

• Aztec
    Aztec
    it can be hard when English isn't their first language.

Hehe! I'll be sure to mention that next time Mulan!

I have no problem with Canadians. I understand them fine. Even if they do tend to elongate certain vowel sounds.

~Aztec

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Aztec,

I once mentioned to Englishman the notion that the Americans have butchered the English language. He did not agree. He feels the British, Irish, Scottish and the Welch especially have butchered the English language. He says he can always understand the Americans, but he can't understand his next door neighbor.

Fact is stranger than fiction.

Steve

Now don't come on here and change your mind, Eman.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Aztec,

As it happens, I'm English and as such don't have an accent. Everyone else has an accent.

Let's have some more order and perfection around here!

Englishman.

• ball.
    ball.

I talk to the US all the time on the phone and different people are better or worse at understanding. Sometimes I say things "the American way" so people understand. It took me about two minutes saying the word "status" with no comprehension before I pronounced it "STADous" and made contact. Another time I spelt a word to someone saying "ZED" and immediately said, "err ya know, that's ZEE" and she replied, "oh I know what ZED is" LOL.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Steve, LOL! I have said many times that Americans speak American, the British speak British and Aussies speak Aussie. It's not just the language, it's the accents! I dare Eman to defend what he said though. That would be interesting!

~Aztec

• Mulan
    Mulan
    As it happens, I'm English and as such don't have an accent.

No.............I don't have an accent. I talk just like they do in the movies.............the American movies. Even Nicole Kidman, an Australian, can talk like me, without her accent.

it can be hard when English isn't their first language.

Hehe! I'll be sure to mention that next time Mulan!

Now, you know I didn't mean the Brits!!

• Aztec
    Aztec
    I'm English and as such don't have an accent. Everyone else has an accent

Oh reeeeeeeally!

It took me about two minutes saying the word "status" with no comprehension before I pronounced it "STADous" and made contact. Another time I spelt a word to someone saying "ZED" and immediately said, "err ya know, that's ZEE" and she replied, "oh I know what ZED is" LOL.

What's difficult about status? Say it with me now...Sssst(hard T)aaaaht(another hard T)uuus. I had never heard of zed until I took French. I thought it was hilarious. Why say zed when you can say zee? It's so much easier!

~Aztec

• Aztec
    Aztec
    I talk just like they do in the movies.............the American movies. Even Nicole Kidman, an Australian, can talk like me, without her accent.

Yeah, Mulan! I agree!

Now, you know I didn't mean the Brits!!

Yeah, I was just teasing.

~Aztec

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit