stuckinarut2
    oh so funny!
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    That's freaking hilarious!!!
  • Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

Their only solution to this problem would be to either

a) Provide an "approved" Wi Fi infrastructure at assemblies (which would be cost prohibitive) or
    b) Tell people not to use electronic devices at the assemblies, but that barn door already got opened and all the cattle are now loose.
    I love it!

• out4good4
    out4good4
    Provide an "approved" Wi Fi infrastructure at assemblies

I surely hope there is no expectation like this from an organization about to kick life long bethelites they promised satisfying and spiritually rewarding careers in service to jehovah.

Some of those people are about to get the rudest awakenings they've ever seen.

My wife was already talking to me about how some ex CO and DO are walking away from the organization in disgust after giving them the most productive years of their lives only to be kicked to the curb at a time when they are most in need. Of course she was telling me this under the admonition that theyhave not too long to wait until armageddon.

"Go home, be warm and well fed!!!!"

Indeed....

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    I'm banking on curiosity will make many JW click on a correctly worded. How about a hot spot that says click on such and such hot spot to get a very valuable message.
  • stuckinarut2
  • thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

Great to see how many are doing this already! I have a feeling the JW Talk post is from an apostate though.

I like everyone's idea's and suggestions. I feel like some may be over complicating it though by using other devices, forcing websites etc...

When has forcing someone to do anything really been effective?

Keep it simple. Just make the hotspot name a website or something that causes them to think. That's all you have to do! For already doubting members it may give them the final doubt. For people who aren't doubting, they could remember that link years down the road when they start to doubt. It also lets any mentally out people know they are not alone.

Keep it simple!

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

My suggestion, get an old cheap unlocked android phone that can enable Wifi Broadcasting (Most do). Just set the name and leave it somewhere or keep it by.

The phone will have no internet access so you don't have to worry about IP tracking or anything like that. You can get them cheap enough that you can just toss it in the trash by your seat. You then use your primary phone to see if it pops up and check the signal strength.

You are basically allowing hundreds, if not thousands of people at one shot know that jwfacts.com exists and has information. That's all you need to do.

• Simon
    Simon

There's an assumption that everyone who is sat there has no idea at all that apostates exist and that the internet contains dissenting views about their religion and that the only thing stopping them being rescued is seeing the name of an apostate website ...

I think they know all that, the WTS has already told them all that. I don't think the electronic equivalent of forcing someone's face in front of a page is really going to convince someone.

This is just a way to cause disruption. I'm not saying that is wrong but let's not kid ourselves this is going to really educate or convince anyone.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Good points Simon and depressedsoul.

I would tend to agree that forcing information on someone is unlikely to change their mind - it's a bit like someone ramming a poster in your face as you leave an assembly.

I think that there a number of positives however, especially when the hotspot is set up by someone not known as an apostate.

1 - it clearly says "there is a dissenter here". If there was more than one hotspot at the same time then it adds some weight

2 - simply using jwfacts.com (or variant) is a clear pointer to perhaps the best site on the net for clear information about Jehovah's Witnesses. I don't think anyone is going to jump to jwfacts in the middle of session but those already feeling unsure about things may get some inspiration to click on that link later

3 - it's a beacon to others who maybe lurking on sites like these that there is a fellow objector close by. I would be bowled over if I knew there was one or two others at the CA who were mentally with me

4 - it does not cause a scene that just reinforces the stereotype of the embittered apostate

5 - you can participate from below the radar. Just enabling the link last weekend gave me nervous buzz that I had not experienced since first clicking on the link to JWN. I felt I was doing a little something, doing more than just sitting in my own little bubble of awareness

6 - it's fairly low risk. I think if it happens a lot then the org may come up with some strategy to try and work out who it is or deal with it in some other way but they cannot search anyone so if you are careful there is very little chance of getting caught

7 - it does make the attendants scurry around wondering who it is. A bit childish really but I was very entertained watching the reaction when I did it.

So, as a tool to wake someone up then on it's own it's probably not going to set the world alight but I like it nonetheless.

Imagine what message it would send if, for example, every person who has mentally woken up set up a hotspot called "I don't believe this anymore" and turned it on all at the same time. If you saw even 10 hotspots within your range then it would be fantastic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit