Disaster Preparedness Training - WTF is that?

by wannabefree 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Watchtower/2003/June/1st/pg.6

See the bottom of the last paragraph.

Jehovah’s Witnesses today are also quick to help when disaster strikes. During the summer of 2001, for instance, torrential storms caused major flooding in Houston, Texas, U.S.A. In all, 723 homes of Witnesses were damaged to some extent, many of them quite badly. A disaster relief committee made up of qualified Christian elders was immediately formed to assess individual needs and to allocate relief funds to help the local Witnesses to cope with the situation and repair their homes. Willing volunteers from neighboring congregations performed all the work. One Witness was so appreciative of the help that when she received payment from her insurance company to cover the repairs to her house, she immediately donated the money to the relief fund so that it could help others in need.

. scan 10001

Other JW's felt they should do the same.

Vulcan

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Everything Anders Anderson said on the previous page.

• Spiral
    Spiral

Yes, exactly what Anders said. Also, I am hearing from the dubs about it here. It makes them feel more like a real church or charity organization that helps people, and that seems to go over well.

But (and there's always a "but") it also makes them feel a little paranoid, thinking they'll need the "go bags" if persecution starts. Then the special among us will flee to the mountains (or the bunker) to hide from government persecution until Armageddon comes.

Funny thing is, I seem to remember from childhood that we were all supposed to have faith in Jehovah, and no need to try to prepare or protect ourselves. The angels would protect you, and if not....well there's always the resurrection.

So this is a change of direction, but it keeps everyone focused on an "us against them" scenario. It can be played both ways - a public service (to any government agency reviewing it) and a drink the koolaid moment from a cult perspective.

Clever, in funny sort of way.

• Spiral
    Spiral

And that money grab in the article - give us your insurance check - is just appalling. This certainly could be a way to collect money and divert it to more urgent issues (such as lawsuits).

• JeffT
    JeffT
    I also remember what Spiral said. When I became a Dub in 1973 people at the KH were making fun of Mormons and the like for their disaster plans. The JW plan then consisted entirely of "Trust in Jehovah." Apparently, they are making more concrete plans now.
  • blondie
    blondie

The WTS had an annual talk given at the service meeting (don't know if it at the CLAM).

Here are some recent comments:

w11 12/1 pp. 6-7

• Coping With Natural Disasters

In spite of all precautions taken, you may still find yourself a victim of an unexpected tragedy. Coping with it will be much easier if you have planned in advance. This is also in harmony with the advice at Proverbs 22:3, quoted earlier. Do you have an emergency kit prepared and ready to go? The publication 1-2-3 of Disaster Education recommends including the following items: First-aid supplies, bottled water, nonperishable food, and important documents. It would also be wise to review with your family the types of disasters that could take place and what could be done in each case.

• As a reminder, each year the elders should review with the congregation pertinent points from the January 6, 2012, letter regarding disaster preparedness and response.

• km 5/15 p. 4 - Kingdom Ministry—2015

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    One Witness was so appreciative of the help that when she received payment from her insurance company to cover the repairs to her house, she immediately donated the money to the relief fund so that it could help others in need

This bit was strategically placed in the article to make a point. I wonder though, on what happens if a Jdub has their house rebuilt and then still decides to keep the insurance money.

I suspect they pressure you, or remind you somehow in order to coerce you to pay. It just doesn't fit with the Org's model to help people without having a return.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

What if you turn over the money then find quick build quality work?

• AshleyCollins
    AshleyCollins

but I think everyone should have at least one bag like this even outside of jw. cuz youo never know if some nature disaster strikes, or there is gonna be some thread in the area you live in.... just be prepared

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    nowwhat? - Disaster occurs Step 1: send us your money! Thank you for attending this special disaster preparedness seminar!

Exactly! And just what the Hell do they need money for if the end of the world is coming soon!, Somebody the other day posted a pic of a brother kissing the money that was donated at one of the assemblies, just reinforced the fact that some payola is going on within the GB and others since they always preach the BigA is coming and we will all love each other so much that no monetary notes will be needed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit