Cannabis & priestly anointing oil ?

by El blanko 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• El blanko
    El blanko

Hi there fellow students ...

A quick question for you all. Do you know whether in the temple arrangement, the anointing oil used contained flower heads from the Cannabis plant? There appears to be evidence that suggests that the word Kineboisin refers to the plant. If so, do you believe the plant would contain THC and therefore intoxicate the user?

Exodus chapter 30 verse 22 - 33:

Moreover the Lord spoke unto Moses, saying: "Take thou also unto thee principal spices, of pure myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet cinnamon half so much, even two hundred and fifty shekels, and of sweet "KINEBOISIN" two hundred and fifty shekels.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I don't know what bible you're reading, I can't find a single bible that uses the word "Kineboison.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yes, there is at least one book about this. It would explain why saul, a short time after he had this oil poured on him, took off all his clothes and 'acted like a prophet'. The first high can be a bit overwhelming, when it takes a person by surprise. I guess the prophets were all pot heads. The incense they used in the temple may have had some thc in it. That would explain the presence of yahweh that they saw after they were totally blasted out of their heads.

The wt translates it as reedy plant, or something similar. Let's remember that cannabis has been in the middle east for millenia, likely originating in india.

SS

• Sargon
    Sargon

Cannabis has been widely used in many societies throughout history. Modern men are the only ones I know who have actually outlawed it's use. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that the ancient Jews used it in their temple. However SS it sounds like Saul was more likely under the influence of cocaine.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

The KJV and the NWT both say "sweet calamus"; the NAS says "fragrant cane."

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

In Hebrew the word is qené-bosem, whence the transcription. The English words "cane" and "balsam" (or "balm") seem to be etymologically related (through Greek and Latin), and the literal meaning is "fragrant reed", which makes a lot of identifications possible. The Greek Septuagint uses kalamos (not kanna) euôdous which has the same meaning. Apparently it is the same as haqqane hattov ("good reed") in Jr 6:20. It's usually identified with an Indian and Arabic reed from the root of which an aromatic substance is extracted (different from Greek kannabis then). However botanic identifications are always very dubious.

Let's smoke on it.

• El blanko
    El blanko

Thanks guys !

• Satanus
    Satanus

Umm, pass the fragrant reed

SS

• Faraon
    Faraon

I looked up about 10 sites about kineboisin. All of them were pro-cannabis. None of these could provide a traceable reference to the study,

http://www.schechter.edu/askrabbi/fragrantcane.htm

This link talks about kineboisin, but the rabbi claims that it is not about cannabis. Maybe a lot of misinformation was spread without basis.

Personally, although my body does not tolerate cannabis, I do approve of its use. I think that criminalizing it is criminal in itself. It is abuse of power. Marihuana is no more dangerous than alcohol.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Does anybody have the anchor bible commentary series commentson this? I think they were one of the best.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit